Not sleeping at night almost two

• My daughter will be turning 2 next month. Still is not sleeping through the night. Still waking up 2 to 3 nights. I have to have her 3oz of milk each time. Is my daughter ever going to sleep all night? She has her own room.. Still in a crib tried toddler bed didnt work out, Sleeps better in crib.  This mommy needs some sleep! we put her down around 9 sometimes 10. and we wake her up at 5:30 every morning. We leave house by 6. and ideas what im doing wrong or could try!

and she wont take a nap during the day. I try everything! my child dose not like sleeping!

• I'm curious what you do when she wakes at night.  YOu want to make sure that these night time wakings are not party time for her.  If she is nutritionally ok, then I wouldn't do a bottle at night (But you might clear this with her doctor if you are unsure).  If she wakes at night let her cry for a few minutes to see if she can settle herself back to sleep.  If not you can go in to her room.  Do not turn lights on or talk to her other than in a monotone voice and let her know.  "Time to go back to sleep".  Help her snuggle back up with her blanket, you can rub her back for a minute or two, and then go back out of her room.  If she starts screaming, let her be for a few minutes, then you can repeat the actions as above, then back out of the room.  Night one will be hard, night two better, three is typically rough and then things get better.  You are right, you do need your sleep and so it's time to help her learn to self sooth and go back to sleep.  I always think of that Cosby show episode where (i think it was Rudy) Rudy thought that there was a circus with Pony rides going on after she went to bed every night.  Important for your baby to know-nothing exciting, just everyone sleeping.

Let us know how it goes,

Jess

• I have talked to many doctors. I let her cry for 5 to 10 mins if she dose not calm back down i give her some milk. I dont say anything to her. She has a night light on at all times, so i dont turn anything on..  I do cover her up with her blanket. She dont cry for me or her dad. All she wants now is a drink. She dont care who brings it in.. The doctora said to try water at night and she wont drink it,

• There are some great books out there about how to sleep train your child..and there are also sleep therapists who can help you. I have a friend who took her son who was 2 to a sleep clinic where they helped develop a plan for getting him into a good sleep routine. Here is what it looked like:

When he woke up, the mom would walk into the room and put his blanket on him, pat him 3 times, and say "Everything is okay, mommy's here...but it is bedtime. Go to sleep. I love you"> Then she would leave the room. Of course he screamed and screamed but she wasn't allowed to go back in there for 10 minutes. At the end of 10 minutes she would walk back in there and do it all over again and say the same works exactly the same way in a calm voice. Then she would leave. This went on for an hour or more before he went to sleep. Then when he woke up again, she would do it all over again. Needless to say it was a long night BUT the next night he only woke up once or twice and went to sleep within a few minutes. By the end of the 3rd night he was sleeping through the night. 

Pick a weekend and do it. Just don't give in and give her milk. Then all you are doing is reinforcing her belief that if she keeps crying long enough, she'll get what she wants and you'll give in. Stay strong it won't take long but it is totally worth it.

FYI - I tried this with my 1 year old and it works! Hang in there though, that first night is rough.

• MommyRN4 - Interesting hearing about the plan the sleep clinic devised! It certainly does take some strong nerves and a will of steel when you do this, but in the long run, it's so much better if your child can learn to self soothe and get themselves into a healthy sleep pattern. 

• OH gosh, this sounds like a challenge.  I wanted to check and see how things are going now that it's been a few days.  Hang in there!

-Jess