Scared of the potty

• My son is 2 and we are tring to potty train him.  He spends a lot of time in big boy pants and does not wet them.  The only problem that we are having is that he is scared of the potty.  He crys if he sit on it and hates to stand in front of it.  How do I get him to not be so scared of it so that he wont hurt himself by  holding his pee to long?

• Do you know why he is afraid? Is it the flushing noise? or the fear of falling in? or perhaps that it's just different and he's having trouble adjusting? You might try making a game out of going potty. I have a family friend who taught her boys how to pee standing up by putting cheerios in the toilet and letting them try to aim at the cheerios. Maybe seeing it as a game might help him not be so scared. When he goes give him a special treat or as some of the moms on here have suggested a star chart where he gets to add a star or sticker every time he is successful then gets a special prize after he gets so many. I hope you're able to find a solution. Sorry i can't be more help... My 4 month old is a long way from potty training. 

• Hi Lovefamily6,

The problem you are describing is a very common one, and Brinny has offered some really good suggestions.  One question I have is does he have a kids potty seat and stool?  You can get a kids potty seat-that goes on the real toilet so that he won't feel like he is going to fall in!  The stool might be nice as it will help him get on and off the potty more easily.

I totally agree with Brinny about positive reinforcement.  Lots of mom's use m and ms as a reward.  He is a bit young, but if he can understand a very basic sticker chart this is another option.

Let us know how things are going.

Thinking of you,

Jess

• Thank you for the advice.  We plan on trying everything.  :)  Crazy enough I think it is a hight thing.  He hates hights.  He does better sitting than standing.  He hangs on to me with a death grip when he stands on a stool.  We have a potty cover it helps a little.  He still crys.  We tried putting things in it for him to aim at but he tried to eat them.  Now we are tring his own baby potty.  Keeps ideas coming.  My other 2 at least were not scared of it.  I will let you know how it goes.

• Let us know how things are going!

-Jess

• Let me know how the baby potty idea works. My son is also rather afraid of sitting on the toilet - clings to me with all his might when he sits on it. The fear of falling in and the height factor is definitely very real. I'm planning on buying him his own little potty in hopes that it's less intimidating. Keep us up to speed! 

• I am curious to hear how things are going for you and your son.  We would love an update!

-Jess

• It seems to be better now.  We bought a "big boy"  potty for him and it is working better.  I think he likes his feet on the floor.  Now it is just tring to get him to stay on it.  He has pooped in it once so there is hope!  We will continue to work on it.

• Great news!  Thanks for keep us posted. :)

-Jess

• Nice! Good progress - little steps forward! I think I'm going to try the same with my little boy. :-) Hopefully I'll have similar luck.