2yr. old Middle of the night feedings.Help!

• I have a newborn and a two year old. It is difficult to accommodate both feedings in the middle of the night. Is it alright to stop giving my two year old milk in the middle of the night and have him wait until morning? If so, what are some tips on weening him off the middle of the night feedings?

• Oh yes...your two year old does not need milk in the middle of the night anymore. It will be difficult to stop, but if you are determined you can do it. First of all, tell him that there will be no more milk at night. Then, when he wakes up, go in his room, tell him that it is time for sleeping, turn on a night light and then tell him you will see him in the morning. Then leave. He will cry but you must wait at least 5 min. Then go back in and do it all again. Next time wait 10 minutes and then increase the time you are gone. It will be a long night, but he should get the idea and in 2-3 days he will stop waking up for bottles. DON'T GIVE IN whatever you do or you will teach him just to cry longer in order to get what he wants. Good luck!

• MommyRN4's advice is the same as I would give! Hang in there and be tough when your 2 year old is crying...the sooner they realize your are sticking to your guns, the sooner he will stick to sleeping and not waking up for his bottle. Let us know how it goes! 

• I have found that the first night is rough, the 2nd is better, the 3rd is rough and then things get much easier from there.  Like the others hae suggested, stick with it, even though it's very hard.  If you can start setting limits now then issues with bedtime, play time, potty and other negociables will be handled with more ease as well.  Feel free to come here for support, happy to be your cheerleader!

-jess

• How are things going? Have you tried to wean him from the middle of the night feedings? Let us know!

• Hello ladies! My apologies for the late response. I have been sooooo busy lately. The advice that was given was very helpful and gave me a basis on how to get started with the process. The beginning was real rocky and tiresome. At first there was lots of resistance as expected. As instructed I held my positon and stayed firm and each day began to get easier. It took longer than I expected to stop my son from getting up at night as he is very stubborn. I didnt have full cooperation from my husband either which threw in a stumbling block. I caught him giving our son milk a few nights and the excuse was that our son was up for the day. *At five in the morning. lol!*  But my position is that he should have been told to go back to sleep and wait until morning to to have milk. For the past three nights my son has been sleeping the entire night and has not gotten up for milk. I am staying optimistic that it will continue. Again, I greatly appreciate all the support and advice it was needed.

• It sounds like thing are going well!  I'm so glad!   :)

-Jess

• Good for you!! You are doing such a great job! It is NOT easy to help your child leave a habit behind. I know all about stubborn kids - my little boy is very strong willed when he gets his mind set on something. Glad you were able to talk things out with your husband. :-) I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that this good streak continues!! 

• Great job! You've made it through the fire and hopefully now you will get some rest! It is awesome for other moms to see that these tricks do work! If you ever see another mom on this site who is struggling with the same issue, I hope you will post your success story for encouragement! Great job!