Will somebody stop the screaming!!!

• My sister's 2 year old has discovered his voice and boy does he use it. He screams at us for just about everything, and since he can’t talk a lot yet, we are all struggling to understand him. How can I get him to stop screaming??? HELP! -- Bonnie, StrongMoms Facilitator

• This is a tough one, and all of us had tried to deal with it. I guess the standard is to ignore him whenever he screams, but that takes incredible will power that I don't have. We admonish our  youngsters to use their words or they don't get what they want. It may take a little while to break them, but it's the quickest way to encourage speaking.

• My advice to anyone with a toddler especially one in the "terrible twos" is to watch Dr. Harvey Karp's "Happiest Toddler on the Block". It teaches you a way to communicate with toddlers in a way they'll understand. My oldest is 18 months and I've put some of his techniques to use and they work wonders. Helps with the screaming and the tantrums! He also has a "Happiest Baby on the Block" which is just as great!