Potty Training

• I am wanting to potty train my daughter who will be 2 in about 4 weeks (we have a 2nd daughter arriving in 6 weeks and I'm hoping to get the 1st potty trained before she arrives).  I've read a lot of conflicting information about potty training--use pull-ups, use underwear, take them to the potty every 30 minutes, let them tell you when they need to go--I'm just confused with all the information out there.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  I'm planning to start potty training her in a week or 2 when we run out of diapers.  Thanks in advance :)

• Well pretty much the consensus on here from what i have been reading is that children will inevitably potty train when they are ready. That is not to say that you can't or shouldn't try to help that along. many of the parents on here have written that they remove the child from their diapers during the day so that they can better feel when they are wet if they have an accident. Also they take the child to the bathroom often and if they are successful there is a lot of praise or something special that follows. Sticker charts have been recommended for the older children who can comprehend the idea. Really what i think it boils down to is you and your husband need to be on the same page when figuring out what will work with your child and stick to whatever plan you have decided. Even if she isn't ready for potty training there are many parents on here that have been on double diaper duty and claim that it's not as bad as it seems, and definitely not as difficult as forcing a child into potty training when he or she is not ready for it. If for what ever reason you become concerned that she should be making better progress then you can always consult her doctor. Anyway good luck, i hope it works out for you.

• I think Brinny did an awesome job of answering this question.  I always suggest positive reinforcement, and love sticker charts as well.  I also wanted to connect you to the American Academy of Pediatrics website and their parent info on potty training.  They have tons of information here and i find it easy to read-plus it's what the professionals suggest.  Let me know if I can help with any questions that come up as you look through the link, or if you have any trouble finding things.

-Jess

http://www.healthychildren.org/English/ages-stages/toddler/toilet-training/Pages/default.aspx

• The information may be conflicting because sometimes what works with one child doesn't with the other.  I have potty trained 3 children and each one was different--except the age--they were all around 2 1/2 years old.  My first son would reply, "Next time I will go in the potty." With him, I just got rid of the Pull-Ups and put him in underwear.  When he went the next time, he was horrified--and BAM, he was instantly potty-trained!  My second son could care less about wetness and the daycare worker (grandmother type) helped me out.  She instructed me to get rid of the Pull-Ups and to bring extra clothes.  We took him frequently to the bathroom and he was potty-trained in about a week.  My daughter had a fascination with the actual potty (I did not have a potty with my sons--just the toilet and a stool).  She liked to go in the bathroom and sit on the little potty.  She was a breeze and really potty trained herself!  I think YOU have to be as ready as your children--I wouldn't start too early (unless you think your child is ready of course) because you might get frustrated at the length of time it takes. Good luck to you!!