Getting Rid of the Pacifier Once and For All—Help!

• It is time to get rid of my son’s pacifier, but I don’t know how. None of my other kids hung on to their pacifier this long and he is really attached to it. I dread bedtime and naptime without it! Help! How do I get rid of his pacifier without traumatizing him or me? – Bonnie, StrongMoms Facilitator

• I can't remember who but i'm almost positive that it was one of the nurses on here who basically explained that her son was a big boy now and didn't need them anymore, but there were other little boys and girls that need them and allowed him to make the decision to leave them for the pasifier fairy to collect for the other children. Maybe it would be nice to leave something in their place so that when he waked up in the morning he has something else special to focus on.

• My one daughter clung to her pacifier until she was 3 and that was way too long for me. Eventually, we used the "binky fairy" and left presents under the pillow each night for a week that she didn't use her pacifier. That pretty much worked. For my oldest, we went on summer vacation one year and we forgot the binky unintentionally. We explained that we didn't have another one and left it home and she never used it again. Good luck!

• I think of binkis as a "self soothing" tool that kids use for just that.  So, it's often really helpful to trade for a different self soothing tool.  I know kids that have traded for a blanket, stuffed animal, or learning to rock themselves to sleep.  

-Jess

• Brinny remembered my little boy's situation perfectly. :-) I just explained that other babies need it more than he did and I had him "mail" them in a package. Later he found a new little toy in the mailbox. I honestly found that it was me that needed to really get rid of them so that I didn't have the temptation to give them back! When push came to shove, he managed to get rid of it easier than I thought he would. Hope it goes well!  

• At Hazels dr appointment yesterday i was told by her doctor to start weaning her off the passifier over the next couple months so she'll be off them by the time she reaches a year old. Some of suggestions she made was to only offer them at certain times of the day like nap and bed time at first then just bed time after a few weeks and then work on not giving them at all. another suggestion is cutting off the tips of the nipple so they are less satisfying to suck on or just going cold turkey and throwing them away all together.

• Kids adjust... there may be a rocky night or two, but cold turkey should do the trick in a short time.

• My son was 18 months when my SISTER intervened.  I just had a hard time taking it because he liked it so much (he only used it for naps and sleeping at night).  If it fell out while he was sleeping, he wouldn't wake--he only needed it to fall asleep.  Anyway, she came over one day and told him that he didn't need it anymore.  She took it and told him to take his nap.  That was that.  He never saw the pacifier again, and didn't complain much.  I think the fact that someone other than mommy took it helped GREATLY!  Even if your son is traumatized for a while--believe me, it will be okay in the long run.  It is only temporary--and next year, you will have something completely different to worry about! LOL.

• Every child is different to how they get rid of a soothing item. My daughter is 2 and loved to have her "nook" (that's what she called it). I started to notice not to long ago that instead of sucking on it she was biting them. And I don't me clenching her teeth, I mean literally making huge holes and then ripping them in half. When I felt that her doing that was not only pointless use of the passie, but also dangerous I would take the top half that she bit off and give her the open part (with supervision). She noticed that the passie wasn't the same and I just threw them away without her looking. Nighttime was my first fear because that was when she wanted it the most. Sticking to her usual bedtime ritual of a bath, one cartoon, and a warm cup of milk, she fell right asleep. I just thought I got lucky that night but as nights went on and she continued to not ask for it I knew right there that she had dumped the "nook" for good. I have a 10 month old, but never gave him a passie which helped in a sense because if he didn't have one for her to see, she wouldn't think about having one. (Plus she would just take his anyway) Now that one small thing is out of the way I'm now working on potty training her before #3 gets here in June. I suggest you just let your son find his own time to get rid of it. Trust me, it'll most likely be sooner then later. Hope my pacifier story helps! Cool

• Those are some great ideas!!!! I especially love the binky fairy ideas and the idea of mailing his pacifier to other children!! Although he is super attached at the moment, we have managed to wean him down to just using it at night to sleep and for nap time. I will just have to take the plunge and remove it though..I think I am dreading it more than him! Big Smile

• We finally took Hazels Pacifier away 6 days ago. She only wanted it when she slept and usually dropped it as soon as she was out. But I have not had a full nights sleep since. she does well for the first 4 hours, but then wakes up crying every 20 minutes after. i hope it doesn't last much longer.

• Our son would take 6 of them to bed with him. He liked to hold them and had 1 in mouth when he went to sleep. When we decided to remove the binks from the equation, we just cut the tips off. They were awkward in his mouth and he gave up after about a minute of trying each one. No tears, no screaming.

• Wow, Garyg7133 i would have never thought of that! Makes them not work quite the same, and I can see why he gave up.  Very creative!

-Jess

• Cutting the tips off is a good idea. I might try that! I hope things get better Brinny!

• My little girl did not even try to use pacifier.