Getting Rid of the Pacifier Once and For All—Help!

• I have 3 children. I have a 7 year old, a 4 year old, and a 3 month old. When my 7 year old was 2 he was very attached to his pacifier. I don't have a picture of him without it in his mouth. I know that this is going to sound really harch but seriously you are just hurting the child more than yourself. There are 2 ways that taking this a way can be accomplished. If the child is old enough than you could do the Binky Fairy. Basiclly you tell them that there pacifiers are going to all the babies that need them and you both collect all the pacifiers. After collected you get rid of them and to help your child cope with this you buy them a little present that the Binky Fairy left for them because they gave up there pacifiers.

The second way of getting rid of them is just throwing them away and telling the child just they are too old. My friend did this and replaced the pacifiers with Big Kid Cups and Bowls. She also went through what I am about to decribe below.

The hardest part is staying strong and not giving in. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!

I am not going to lie to you the first night when my son didn't have his binky he cryed going to bed. I would go in and rub his back and just speak with him in a low tone. It does make bedtime a bit longer but it is going to be worth it in the long run. When you are going through this process make sure that you do it when your mate is home also. You will need a break and this way you don't feel as though you are the only onw going through this. Trust me it is more trumatizing to you than the child.  You have got to keep telling yourself that he\she does not need this he wants it and for his\her overall heath it is better for the child. The second night was some of the same but not as long just went in rubbed his back a bit and he feel asleep. By night three he was just fine. It is the first inital shock but they will be fine. My son is now 7 in the 2nd grade and a very well adjusted child. I think it is more traumatizing to us the parents because they are crying and we know that if we just give so they will stop " hurting". They are not hurt they are just upset because they can not get what they want.  Stay strong and I hope that you and your child can get over come this soon.

• Thanks for all your advice! I am going to just have to do it! It seems like his addiction is getting worse some days!

• Oh i highly suggest not waiting much longer. It took hazel a week to get over not having it, and longer to get her to sleep through the night without it. sometimes she still tries to suck on the ears of her hippo i think for comfort. it has taken a while to get her back into a bedtime routine, but i think i've finally got her back to where she was before i got rid of all the pacifiers.. it's taken 2 months.