Rewards

• Friends I know rewarded their toddler for going to the potty with one green M&M every time she went. Another friend gave a different color crayon every time his son slept through the night in his own bed. What is the most unique “reward” you’ve given your toddler to reinforce a specific behavior?--Chris, Strongmoms facilitator

• AnswerDad, what a great topic!  While not unique stickers are definitely a favorite for most kiddos i know!

-Jess

• I was talking with my exs' mom about this topic several years back and she potty trained her boys using cheerios as a target in the toilet and when they were successful they got a treat. for the oldest it was a box of raisins (she tricked him into thinking they were candy), for the younger brother he got m&ms (the older brother told him the truth hahaha).. I plan on using raisins for my daughter since they are healthier and won't reinforce a candy addiction.

• I am a firm believer in a reward chart. I reward my children a sticker upon completion of a certain task. We've done potty charts, no "monkey business" in bed, ext. At completion they then receive a prize. Depending on the length of the requested chore will determine the prize. They have received candy, a small toy, visit to chuck e cheese, ext. My 2 and 3 year old love it so much they come to me and ask for the charts and set up the rules and prize themselves!! Receiving the recognition of getting a sticker is just as good for them and they learn to work towards a goal. 

• I am a firm believer in a reward chart. I reward my children a sticker upon completion of a certain task. We've done potty charts, no "monkey business" in bed, ext. At completion they then receive a prize. Depending on the length of the requested chore will determine the prize. They have received candy, a small toy, visit to chuck e cheese, ext. My 2 and 3 year old love it so much they come to me and ask for the charts and set up the rules and prize themselves!! Receiving the recognition of getting a sticker is just as good for them and they learn to work towards a goal. 

• Thanks for the kind words ladies... I agree about the health issues Brinny... using sweets as rewards is very old school, so the grandparents and aunts and uncles use them, but as parents we need to be strong! Fruit is a great idea. Stickers are awesome, as is a reward chart w stickers.