Cleaning up With a Toddler — How to Encourage Neatness?

• I often struggle with teaching my children how to be neat and organized, and yet I know that it can start at a young age. Are toddlers too young to teach? Do you get your toddler to help with household chores or toy pick up? ~Bonnie, StrongMoms Facilitator

• MommyRN4, oh gosh I laughed when I read the title to your post!  I don't think it's ever to early to start, although results may vary, lol.  I read a suggestion on this board awhile back about making cleanup time a game.  Maybe something like "musical chairs" where the goal is to pick up as many toys as possible while the music plays, then freeze when it stops.  Lots of positive reinforcement and positive words for clean up success.  I think having a very simple clean up plan-like a few bins that toys can be stored in.  I can't wait to hear what others suggest as I know many of us want to work toward a more organized household!

-Jess

• I've had some success by talking up how much I need him to be my special "helper". Then he doesn't seem to mind picking up toys and other messes. I think it is working, but it is definitely a work in progress.