TV Time

• How do you and your partner handle television time for your toddler? I don’t want my son to have too much time in front of the television but, in all reality, it provides a nice break for me sometimes. I’d like to get a feel for what other families are doing. --Julie, Strongmoms facilitator

• I think that there are so quality shows on for kiddos and i agree that we all need some downtime.  I think that so long as kids have a balance of lots of different activities it's just fine to include tv as one of them.  How about others, what do you think?

-Jess

• My husband and I don't agree on this subject, but since I'm home with the kids we do it my way. I believe less tv is better, he doesn't believe it to be harmfull. We have a 3 year old, 2 year old, and 4 month old. I allow 1 hour in the morning of cartoons from pbs or Disney, one hour prior to nap time and 30 minutes after nap time. In the evening we might allow them to watch a singing or dancing program but no more than 30 minutes and they normally are too busy to care and watch. We also do movie night once a week, depending on behavior during the week. This night is seen as a reward and great family time. The kids choose a movie and we throw a large blanket on the floor for everyone and enjoy yummy snacks together. I still feel this is a lot of TV for such young ages but it is a nice break and helps settle my kids down for naps and allows them a softer wake up process. It may not work for all but it seems to fit us. 

• Its all a balancing act. When you are home with kids all day, it can seem like you have exhausted your arsenal of projects to do with them before noon! TV comes in very handy and many shows are also educational. I try to limit it whenever possible and choose to send them outside, or downstairs to play, but on rainy days or days I dont feel well, it is necessary!

• LaSage, It sounds like you are doing a great job with balancing activities and TV time.  Keep up the good work! :) -Jess