Homemade toddler food

• My wife's mother makes oatmeal and adds fresh pureed fruit, such as blueberries or strawberries. She pours the mixture into a muffin pan, and freezes the portions. We simply reheat in the microwave, and presto, we have a healthy and delicious breakfast or snack for our daughter at our fingertips. Do you make your own toddler food?

• My most recent creation is a keeper. Two slices of melba thin seedless rye bread and one slice of 1% cheese... 30 seconds in the pan on each side medium heat... slice with pizza slicer into sticks... daughter loves it and fairly nutritious and easy! We have also added a thin slice of turkey.

• I think I've posted this elsewhere on the boards, but it is a great recipe and I love it.

I mix a cup or two cups of baby spinach in a blender with orange juice, one banana, and a handful of strawberries (frozen or fresh). Then puree and it makes a smoothie or shake that is green. You don't taste the spinach, just the bananas and orange juice. My kids love it and have NO IDEA that it is healthy for them. We call it the Incredible Hulk, but for a little girl, you might change it to Tinkerbell juice or something!

• Making your own toddler food is fantastic because it really gives you control of what your child is eating; however, make sure you introduce one new food every four days because this will alert you to what your baby may be allergic to. If you introduce too many new foods at once, if your baby has an allergic reaction, you won't know which food triggered the reaction. Once you have introduced several new foods without a reaction, you can then begin to mix them together as you wish.

• The allergies advice is great... our 6-month old daughter has had her share of allergy problems, and we have been giving a grace period with each food we introduce just to be certain that there is not a new allergy.