Time for Preschool?

• My older daughter was 2 ½ when she started preschool. It was the first type of daycare she’d ever been to and it took a long time for her to adjust. My little one (who’s 2 ½) just recently moved up to the preschool class at the daycare she’s been at since she was 6 months old, and she, too, had trouble adjusting. My mother-in-law recently commented that she thought 2 ½ was too young for preschool. I don’t know if I agree. What are your thoughts on the appropriate age to start preschool? What have your experiences been? 

• My oldest is just a little more than 2, but I think every toddler is different in how they mature. I also believe that girls tend to be ready before boys. Between you, your pediatrician and your child's teacher, the three of you should be able to come to a consensus.

• There is no right age for a child to begin preschool. Many preschools want the child to be potty-trained, so when your baby is potty-trained, he/she may be ready for school. Children at age 2 may have separation anxiety, which may be an indication that you should wait another year. However, all children mature at different ages, so you need to do what is best for you and your child.