Camping

• Does anyone have any advice for camping with a 15 month old?  We're hoping to make it 2 nights.  We'll be sleeping in a tent.  Is it better to have her in her own sleeping bag, or have her share with one of us?  My husband's family does this camp out every year, and it usually gets decently cold at night (we'll be in the southern Utah area).  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

• My best friend took her niece who was a bit older but was still toddler age to their big family reunion two summers ago.  When she went she had the little one in a sleeper and then in the sleeping bag with her.  Another option could be to zip together two sleeping bags, or have her sleep with you guys with a toasty blanket of her own.  The best way to keep her warm is to have her sleeping with you. No one is going to sleep if your kiddo is cold or uncomfortable to perhaps bringing a few options would be best.  Let us know how it goes,  Jess

• I haven't taken a little one camping yet but I have a friend who does often. She dresses the kids in snow suits and takes a pack and play along. I think they often sleep in there but if it gets too cold, they tuck them into the sleeping bags with them. The pack and play can be nice to have if you want to get something done during the day and not worry about your little one wandering off. Also, if you do any hiking, borrowing a hiking pack from someone to carry your little girl in can be really helpful. Good luck!

• When are you going camping? When you do, be sure to post how it went so others can benefit from your advice! I know that I am considering taking some kids camping this summer and could use some veteran advice as well!

• Hello all!  Thanks so much for the advice on camping.  We went last weekend, and it was great!

During the day I pretty much just let her run (supervised) crazy.  I bought some sunscreen specifically for faces that I put on every few hours...there's nothing worse than a face sunburn, especially when it peals.  I also got regular sunscreen that sprays on.  That way she only had to sit still while I put sunscreen on her face, but could walk around while I sprayed other exposed parts.

I also invested in those Take and Toss cups, which were great.  I didn't have to worry about which were clean or dirty, or whether or not I'd rinsed them well enough that they wouldn't smell like sour milk when we got home.  I brought along some squeezable applesauce packets as well for a quick snack that wouldn't get all sandy when she tried to eat it.

I found that sweatshirts for a toddler are almost impossible to find at a decent price (maybe it's just me, but I can't handle paying as much for that tiny sweatshirt as I'd pay for mine!).  I found some on clearance in the smallest size I could (6x!) and just sewed them to be the right length and then rolled the sleeves (basically I just pulled the cuffs up to her armpits).  I figured that kind of made it like she was wearing 2 sweatshirts, and would be super warm.

At night she slept in a pack-and-play (which remarkably fit in our 4-person tent along with our queen size air mattress and bags).  It is also nearly impossible to find a child size sleeping bag with a cold enough temperature rating (we were looking for one that provided comfort to 30 degrees) for a good price.  We just got an adult-sized sleeping bag and folded it in half.  She slept in fleece jammies with socks underneath, a sweatshirt, mittens, a beanie (with a chinstrap to ensure it stayed on), in her sleeping bag, with a fleece blanket on top.  I checked her a couple times during the night and she always felt warm.  

We decided to let her stay up a little later than usual so she would be tired and fall asleep when we put her to bed.  She's not one who gets super cranky when she's tired so it wasn't a big deal.  I stayed in the tent with her until she was good and asleep (until the kids screaming outside the tent didn't make her try to open her eyes anymore :) ).  Then I went back to join the other adults and just checked on her every so often.  She slept right through the night--even through the crazy wind that woke me up!

All-in-all we had a lot of fun camping.  I think the most important thing to remember is that camping is supposed to be fun.  Try not to be super rigid with scheduling.  Just go with the flow.  We actually decided to forego any napping (she wanted to be up playing so it's not like she was going to sleep anyway), and just let her sleep in the car when we went on day trips.  I also suggest getting a backpack carrier if you're going to hike.  If you don't want to buy one some stores will rent them.  Good luck to all those going!  Have fun!  (We sure did :) )