Pregnant w/ #4 and scared about my kids adjusting

• I currently have 3 children  soon to be 2, 3 and 7. I am 13 weeks pregnant with baby #4 and am terrified how my 2 youngest are going to adjust to a new one in the home. Before this baby arrives I've been trying to get my 3 year old potty trained and sleeping in her own room (trying to get her to be more independent!). I've had some succuess with the potty but as far as the bed goes, she won't sleep in it all night and sometimes not at all. We put a tv in her room and everything and she did sleep in there a handful of times but now its like she wants to sleep where her lil brother is sleeping. As for my youngest, aye aye aye. He's a handful and I am not sure how to appropriately handle his obnoxiousness and constant need for me. He is so loud and screams and hits and throws things all the time and people keep telling me to get a hold of him now but i don't know how to go about it. Any advice??? I would like my household to be more organized and quiet before this one comes and like I said i just don't know where to start.

• You sure do have your hands full!  It sounds like you have several issues going on with several different children.  I wanted to offer two ideas, just to get your started.  Then I'm sure others will pitch in with more thoughts.

My first thought is that perhaps a sticker chart reward system, for all children might be really helpful.  It doesn't matter what the issue is, positive reinforcement is a great tool for all.

The other thing that I want to offer you is a website.  The website is for the American Academy of Pediatrics parent's site.  You can search through it for help on a huge variety of parenting and kids topics!  Here is the link:  http://www.healthychildren.org/English/ages-stages/Pages/default.aspx

I've linked you to the ages and stages page, as it seems that may be a good place for you to start.  You'll also notice a search bar on the right side of the page where you can search for detailed info.

Please let us know if and how we can help.  Hang in there,

Jess

• You do have your hands full! I haven't gotten my almost 3 year old potty trained, so I'm no help there but I do know what it's like to have a screamer and a kid who needs you all the time! I have a time out mat where he goes if he is being rough ("not gentle") or "not nice". If he gets off it, I put him back and his time starts over. He gets one minute for his age - so 2 minutes at this point since he is 2 years old. The first few times I did it, I had to put him back over and over but he stays when I put him there now. I usually will warn him the first time he does something and then if he does it again, he goes into time out. He hates those time outs so he usually will stop after the warning now. The key is to be REALLY CONSISTENT. If you say you will put him in time out, then DO IT if he repeats an action. It's tempting to repeat things over and over and not follow through when you are tired. 

One other thing we do is give lots of choices that are not really choices. When he goes to bed, he can either wear his blue pajamas or his red ones...but the option of not putting them on just isn't there. When he wants cookies for lunch, I'll tell him he can have yogurt and fruit or cheese/crackers/fruit. In other words, he thinks he has a choice but I get my way no matter what. :-) Anyway - I hope these help  little bit and that you are able to have some sanity. Hang in there and congrats on your new little one!! 

• stressedoutmom-

I just wanted to check and see how thing are going.  It's been a bit since the last time that you posted. Would love an update when you have time. 

Take care,

Jess