Hitting

• My two year old has begun hitting anyone and everyone who gets in her way. She bites her lip in frustration and then tries to pound her obstacle into submission! How do you make a toddler understand that hitting anyone is not OK? -- Chris, StrongMoms Facilitator

• I'd say try and make her understand that you treat others how you want to be treated. Make her see that hitting hurts people and it's not nice.

I said more the first time, but I think this is acceptable.

• Ahh Toddler behavior.  I would make things very clear and simple.  First I would say "NO", then redirect the behavior by giving him/her something to use to cope with whatever is upsetting them enough to want to hit or bite.  So "No" and then hand the child a binki, blanket, stuffed animal, something they can cling to or hit instead of you.  Be kind, take a deep breath and be clear.  

Tough question!  -Jess

• My friend's 2 year old daughter does the same thing, she is praying its a phase. When my 3 year son and I come to visit she attacks my son but he does not hit back. Her nickname is Rocky, lol. I told her it's not nice to hit and 5 minutes later she has my son in a head lock. It doesn't help that her dads wrestles with her. Did you ever try to take away something she really likes as a form of punishment when she does hit someone?