Too young to see stage show?

• My toddler’s grandparents want to take her into New York City to see a children’s show based on a popular television show. While our daughter will have a great time, the total cost of a lavish show and lunch in the big city will be more than $500 for the three of them. They could go somewhere locally for a fraction of the cost and our daughter would have just as good a time. Should I leave this alone and let grandma and grandpa spoil her, or should I explain my logic to them? -- Chris, StrongMoms Facilitator

• If it were my parents I would just say i feel like you are spending an unnecessary amount of money for her to have a good time when you could do something just as fun for WAY less.. not to mention she probably won't even remember the experience except through stories.... But if this is something you really feel you want to do i'm not going to try to stop it, but that is a lot of money for an afternoon with grandma and grandpa.... Even if they have the money to blow.

• I would definitely explain your side of reasoning, but ultimately it is their choice. Grandparents will spoil and if they see it fit to do such a lavish thing then you will have to go with the flow. At least you have said your peace. And maybe it can become a yearly tradition for them and make them feel special and all grow even closer. 

• I think that grandma and gradnpa are going through with the spoiling, even though I did explain that it was unnecessary.

• Nice!! It's kind of fun to have grandparents around to spoil your kids. ;-) 

• It may be that the ones who are really benefiting from this are grandma and granddad and that is a-ok! Sometimes it's not about our kids, but about our adults!  This may be a memory that Grandma holds close to her heart.  I remember my grandma taking me to the nutcracker in a pretty dress, shiny shoes and bows in my hair when i was three.  She loved it, and i heard the story for many years.  

-Jess

• Totally agree Jess... the same thing happens with birthday parties. While toddlers, family members want to lavish a birthday party on my kids even when we say we can't afford an extravagant affair. We have spent upwards of $500 on a 1st birthday party, yet the kids aren't at the age yet when they really know the difference. These parties are more for the adults involved than the kids in that way. Give me 1/3 of that money and I can blow my toddlers' minds with a day-long adventure. Spoiling the kids is something I enjoy seeing from extended family, but sometimes it is unsustainable.

• Yes, that's exactly they are. Grandparents are really spoiler, even in my own experience my mother and father really do that. I just allow them to do that because by means of that they really feel happy and even closer with kids and kids love them as well.