How do you stop possessive behavior in your toddler?

• My nephew is MAJORLY possessive of his toys, his clothes, and everything that is his. He is 4 years old and still won't share anything with my children. How can my sister encourage him to share and stop this possessive behavior? It is really interfering with his ability to make friends. ~Bonnie, StrongMoms Facilitator

• has she tried trading? so maybe when he gets something he feels is valueable to him, he gets some kind of "collateral" in return.

• Oh gosh he is in an age when it is hard to share.  that being said there are lots of books, videos and songs about sharing and friendship.  Perhaps going on a sharing campaign will help.  You could focus on bringing in all those songs, some tv/dvds and books on the topic and see if it helps.  Then it's really important to offer lots of positive reinforcement whenever he does share!  Good luck and keep us posted, Jess

• He just doesn't like to share, even though we try and tell him nicely and offer to trade. It is a real issue because my kids don't like to play over there now.

• MommyRN-

I'm so sorry to hear that, it must be frustrating.  Does it help for him to hear positive feedback to your kids (and to him) when sharing does happen?

-Jess

• No, nothing seems to be working, he just gets so upset about his toys. I hope he outgrows this phase soon, because it is really dampening the relationships.