Healthy convenience foods

• I always try to serve my children what my husband and I are eating. There are times however, we like to have very spicy food or things like sushi, which our children do not like. I have searched for convenience foods that are healthy and appetizing to serve them, but have come up short. Have you guys found any healthy convenience foods for toddlers? Are there any foods you wish you could find, but can’t?

• This is a really tough one. I think the very nature of "convenience" foods is that they are not necessarily healthy. For eating out, one positive is that many restaurants are offering healthy alternative choices these days.

At home our daughter loves cucumbers and tomatoes, so we slice them up raw and give them to her as a side dish and always have them in a plastic bag when on the go. If your child doesn't like fruits or veggies, it becomes more difficult. Most frozen foods and snack foods are not considered very healthy, although we give our baby lightly breaded fish sticks which she loves. It's not my first choice, but we could do worse.

• Pilgrim's Pride has a good baked chicken nugget. It's a chunk of chicken, not that processed chicken stuff and tasts pretty good. My kids like them and they're quick and easy.

• I've been doing veggie corndogs and veggie nuggets, but am still not very impressed with it. I think I might start making my own healthy fish sticks ahead of time and freezing them. I've really gotten into making things and freezing them. It makes it much easier when we are pushed for time.

• Whenever we are eating something I KNOW the kids won't eat, I usually try to pop a cup of frozen mixed veggies in the microwave and serve this with sliced fruit and cheese. This is an easy way to make sure they are getting their nutrition without spending too much time in the kitchen.

• I LOVE the Morningstar Farms veggie nuggets, both the plain and buffalo ones. The fat and calorie counts are lower, and the protien is higher. My kids love them, too. The only problem is the price. It's a little more expensive than regular nuggets.