Letting go of the bottle

• I am having a terrible time with my 18 month old daughter. She refuses to let go of her bottle. I've tried giving her milk in a sippy cup and she refuses to drink it. She'll drink anything else out of a sippy, just not milk. When I give her the bottle, most times she won't even drink it, but just carries it around with her all over the house. I've let her cry before, but she will seriously cry for an hour straight till I give her a bottle. She has a little sister who is only 4 months old and she'll try to steal her bottles if I don't give her one of her own. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

• 18 months is still young, but she shouldn't be drinking from a bottle. The reason could be that she is jealous that the baby is drinking from a bottle and she wants one too. Explain to her that she is a big girl now and that bottles are for babies. She may be too young to grasp the concept, but keep trying. When she drinks her milk from a sippy cup, praise her! She will love the attention!

• Does she like any particular character? Like Elmo or Minnie Mouse? If so, you might be able to find a sippy cup that she will get excited about. There are also several cups on the market that are more like bottles...they have longer "spouts" made out of silicone and are great for children learning to make the transition.