When is a good time to start kids playing sports?

• My son just turned 3, and he really wants to start playing soccer like his older brother. When do you think is an appropriate age to get children involved in organized sports activities? Is 3 years old too young? 

• My vote would be to help him get started as soon as their is opportunity in his age bracket. If there is a group that is for his age let him get started! I also think that swim lessons are really important for children and they do start at that age at many facilities. -Jess
  • Our local county park system offers numerous opportunities for toddlers to get introduced to athletic activities. We have girls, so we have exposed our 3 1/2 and 2 year old to soccer, gymnastics, swimming  and dance. Next year, they have programs for tee-ball, golf, flag football, and basketball. Once exposed to a sport, we will let them decide what they want to do.

• My little boy is 21 months and is doing a really relaxed soccer group! He LOVES it. I wouldn't have started him if he were not interested in other kids and sports but his world revolves around soccer balls, basketballs, and baseballs. He also is just beside himself with joy when he makes a new friend and when he is around groups of people - he loves to be social. I say take your cues from your son - if he is asking for it and excited about it - go for it. I plan on keeping it really low key and fun. If it is a struggle to make him go, I'd drop it and not make a big deal out of it.