Ways to Save

• The costs of feeding a baby certainly add up. (And trust me, they don’t get cheaper as they get older. You should see how much my older kids eat!) But, I, like most moms, want my kids to get good nutrition. What are some ways you save when feeding your baby and family?

Personally, I’m selective when signing up for companies’ membership programs. When you’re signing up for brand programs, do you sign up for any that you find? Or do you compare brand programs and just choose one? If you only choose one, what helps you decide?--Bonnie, Strongmoms facilitator

• It's an unfortunate aspect of our society that it seems the least healthiest foods are the cheapest. Trying to balance meals while balancing budgets is harder than I imagined it would be. We have chosen to turn our back on organic foods, not because we can't afford it, but because we are skeptical that organic foods are truly organic. I have faith in the major brands of baby foods and of course we always have used Similac formula. For my older kids, I just try to stay away from processed foods as much as possible. As moms and dads we will never be perfect, and with diet we just have to do our best to balance the various nutritional and financial needs of a family.

• We choose to eat organic, hormone/pesticide-free and locally grown foods whenever possible. Even when funds were low (pre-baby) we would do our best to eat 'green'. We feel it is an investment... It's much cheaper to eat/live this way than paying for excessive doctor's bills down the road. We don't have the faith in major food companies anymore (considering all the things that have come to light in the past few years). I feel that bigger companies have more to gain and less liability when deciding to cut cost by using lesser quality products and/or pumping up the chemical use and hormones for bigger profit. As for organic brands, I tend to look for ones that are not owned by  larger corporation.

• DP_nyc: I feel the same as you about eating well now and avoiding huge doctor bills down the road! Prevention is really the best way to go as far as our health - it's pretty hard to reverse years of bad eating and damage to our bodies. I haven't always been this way but I'm hoping to start my kids out this way from the beginning!