Opinions on Parents going to 2 week oversea vacation?

• Hello,

My wife and I are going to Asia for 2 weeks when our baby girl would be about 10 months old. Is this a bad idea? I'm afraid by the time we get back she won't recognize us and miss out on her crawling and first word.

thanks,

Kevin

• I couldn't leave my little ones that long. I would miss them too much to enjoy myself. I have left them for one night with their grandparents, but only once. I don't think it is a bad idea or would cause your daughter to forget you, but she might have a hard time with your being gone that long. It really just depends on what you and your wife are comfortable with. I would love to visit Asia. My husband has been a few times and he just loves it. He always goes on business, so it is never an option for me to go with him.

• I say go for it, your daughter will still remember you (it's only 2 weeks), and you and your wife will benefit from some much needed time to yourselves. Besides, who knows when the next chance you'll get to take a vacation by yourselves. And as far as missing any milestones, have whoever's caring for her videotape anything that you may miss. 

• I'm with both BabyNurse and Angel. It's a tough decision, but it really has to do with what you're most comfortable with. Personally, I would not be comfortable leaving my kids for that long -- and they're 10 and 2! The most time I've spent away from them is a weekend. But that's just me.

It's great and important to get away, but it can be hard on you in ways you can't predict. After being there for your little one 24/7 for so long, you can end up going through withdrawal. Is there any way you could bring her with you or cut the trip short? How about setting up some type of Webcam where you could check in with her every day. Skype has free video calling services and Webcams are pretty cheap nowadays. Just a few thoughts!

• From a Dad's perspective Kevin, I think you should take your vacation. Time is a resource that is so precious for parents of young children, and you and your wife have obviously blocked out some time to take a vacation and you should go. It certainly is possible that you could miss some milestones, but if you let your lives be completely ruled by this fact, you would never leave the house again!

Go on vacation with a clear conscience and re-charge your batteries. When you get back, you will be re-energized and ready to be the best parent you can until you can find the time to get away again.

• I say go for it. We had a similar opportunity through my husband's work when our son was around that age. After much discussion we finally decided to take the plunge. It was the best decision at least for us. It gave us a much needed break from the rigors of new parenthood and it gave our son's out of state grandparents an even more cherished extended bonding time with their new grandchild.

Oh and our son definitely recognized us when we returned!

Have fun what ever you decide.