Social Media Photos

• My favorite part of social media is exchanging photos of my kids with friends and family and in return receiving photos of their kids. Recently, I have been made aware of just how easy it is to see pictures of children on social media sites, and  for someone to target an address where kids live. Should I stop posting and remove all photos of my kids from the internet, or am I being paranoid?  --Chris, Strongmoms facilitator

• I think it really depends on your comfort level. For me I'm not concerned because i will be dropping off and picking hazel up from school until she's old enough to drive, so i'm not worried about kidnapping on the way to or from a bus. and once she's older it's will be out of my control regardless if there is a predator on line or just lurking around the area. The best thing you can do is get your child some self defense classes so that He/ She has some means of defense in the event that someone has targeted them and talk to them about safety... safety in numbers, don't talk to strangers, don't get into cars with people you don't know, and even some people they do know with out parental approval (like semi close friends of the family), if someone says mom and dad sent them to pick up the kid then the kid needs to call and confirm before leaving, never go somewhere without telling someone where you are going, Have emergency numbers stored in the quick dial of their cell phone, make sure they know what emergency numbers are, and make sure they know to RUN and RUN FAST... I will tell you that running saved my niece from an abduction. Anyway i don't think you can be too careful when it comes to protecting your children from predators.

• As long as you are aware of the privacy settings and use them to your advantage, you are probably okay. It is also just as likely for someone to see your "playset" in your backyard or toys on the front drive and realize kids live there. We can live our lives being afraid of the world but is that how we truly want to live or teach our children to live? Teach your children safety, stranger danger, and other important numbers, but in reality the dangers are all around us and as parents it can be overwhelming if we try to eliminate them all. 

• I really think it's a matter of knowing where those photos are going and making sure appropriate safety/privacy settings are in place.  I also think it's important to safe guard your contant info.  I agree it's really fun to share photos!

-Jess

• AnswerDad03, be sure to take control on the privacy settings in which only friends or who do you want to see your childs picture.