Travel

• One of the great passions my wife and I have enjoyed is to travel. Our travel options have been extremely limited since we began having kids five years ago, but we still have a great desire to explore the country and the world. Beyond theme parks geared to kids, to what locations have you traveled in the U.S. that were equally enjoyable for all members of the family? --Chris, Strongmoms facilitator

• HMMMM... Being someone who has traveled for work I have been to many many places. My favorite so far is Central Oregon where i used to live. There are so many things to do there and it is BEAUTIFUL!!!! There are plenty of buttes to climb and once you get to the top you can see the mountain range for miles and miles. The lakes are among some of the clearest in the world. There are plenty of locations for camping, fishing, boating, canoeing, kayaking, rock climbing, trails to explore, skiing, geocaching, the badlands in itself is an entire new world to explore, and lets not forget the bounty of waterfalls throughout the passes in the spring and early summer and other falls like Tummalo and Multnoma...and this is just the tip of the iceberg. My favorite location in the US by far is Paulina Peak in central Oregon, it is just breathtaking and the runner up is Crater Lake (Which used to be a mountain that erupted) but still AMAZINGLY beautiful. Other great places in the Pacific NW is Mt Rainier, going hunting for the geoduck in the Puget Sound, entire drive up the NW Coast is amazing... It's a rocky coast and it is so much fun to walk the beaches and watch the waves crash against the massive rock walls... well that's enough about the PNW you get the picture. Other fun places we have been are The Hoover Dam, and the Redwood forest, Gettysburg, Niagara Falls, Alaska (I went to Anchorage for work) We were there during the Iditarod and the running of the reindeer, there was also an ice carving contest (so awesome), and fresh off the boat king crab...  I want to go the the Grand Canyon and to see Mt Rushmore but the opportunity has yet to present its self. I enjoyed going to Galveston TX, there also many things to do in that general area too. There are some aquariums and lets not forget about the space museum, Then there is Florida with all of the different beeches and of Course disney world, sea world, universal studios... Hopefully this will give you something to go off of as far as ideas of places to go... I can say though if you haven't ever experienced the PNW you really should before your time on this earth is up.

• Wow Brinny, I am a tad envious of your travel experiences! I say hands down that we went to Mardi Gras in New Orleans one year and the kids loved it. Now, don't go to the French Quarter Mardi Gras...but rather, go to the Metairie Mardi Gras. It is a Mardi Gras in the suburbs that is VERY family oriented. While you are in New Orleans, you can eat fried shrimp, take a riverboat cruise, go to an alligator farm, visit the Zoo and the Aquarium, take a streetcar ride, and eat at Cafe du Monde. 

• Totally forgot about Mardi gras!!! We went to the french quarter just before Katrina hit but haven't been back sense... it was a lot of fun, some good people, some swindlers, great food, and great music... 

• Wow you guys have a very nice travel. Hope to do the same as you all did.