Communication?

• I have been trying for about 2 weeks to sit down and talk about what our expecctations are and what we want from each other. Every time I bring it up he changes the subject, or tells me that he is too stressed to sit down. I know that sitting down to "TALK" is not the most exciting thing, but I really think that as soon as we set the guidelines, we will relieve alot of the stress. Any ideas on how to get this to happen? (with out sitting on him or tying him to a chair JK!) Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Mandi

• Do you have anyone who can babysit for you? Set up a little dinner out where you can have a nice break and don't even have the talk at dinner. Enjoy yourselves and have some fun. Go out for a bit of coffee afterward and have a discussion when you both are at ease and feeling on good terms with each other. That'd be my recommendation! 

• I love Julie's suggestion. I think this turns it into a positive rather then it being nagging or stressful. My one other thought is that the car is often a really good place for serious discussions. You are both locked in there and you can just keep driving until you have everything addressed. :) I can remember when i was a teen avoiding long rides in the car with mom or dad for exactly that reason! :) Keep us posted, Jess
  • Jess_BabyRN - long car rides are another great option too! :-) If your baby falls asleep in the car, that's a nice way to get some quality time to yourselves. Grab and ice cream and make a little road trip out of it! :-)