Changing from milk to water or something during the night?

• How can i get my 9 month old son to stop drinking milk during the night cause i know its not good for his teeth? I have tried water and it doesnt work. Is there anything else i can try? Help please. I dont want my sons teeth to get cavaties already.

• First of all, I just need a few clarifications. Are you giving your child whole milk or formula during the night? Babies under a year old should ONLY be feed infant formula or breastmilk as they can not digest cow's milk yet. Once they turn a year old, you can begin to wean them onto whole milk, but not before that. Also, are you giving him a bottle in his bed to drink on all night or is he simply waking up for a bottle? Pediatricians and dentists warn about the possibility of cavities with babies who are given a bottle of milk to drink throughout the night or allowed to fall asleep with a bottle. If you are still concerned, talk to your pediatrician or talk to your dentist. You may be able to begin cutting out the nighttime bottle all together.

Here are some guidelines from the American Academy of Pediatric Dentists.

http://www.aapd.org/publications/brochures/babycare.asp