Bedding

• I need some advice!  I had baby bedding for my son and daughter when they were born but, so many people are telling me now that they don't recommend using bumper pads and things that you are supposed to have like a mattress pad and tight fitting crib sheet and then put your baby in one of those pj bag things to sleep.  They don't even want you to put blankets on them due to SIDS.  Has anybody got any comments, I don't know whether to buy bedding or not?

• kseitz-

I'm so glad that you brought this question to the board.  It is a really important question.  The American Academy of Pediatrics has a webpage that addresses many questions brought up by parents.  As a clinician we turn to the academy for recommendations on "everything kid"!  I've put a link below that will take you to their webpage, and their recommendations on safe bedding and sleeping for babies.  Check it out, and if you have further questions please bring them back to the board and I'll do my best to get you an answer.  

Here is the site: 

http://www.healthychildren.org/English/ages-stages/baby/sleep/Pages/Preventing-SIDS.aspx 

Keep us posted!

-Jessica

• The link Jessica gave you is a great one to check out. Let us know if you still have questions even after reading that! I, personally, had no bumper on my crib with my boy and no blankets - just the sleep sack - for safety reasons. You can still purchase a bedding set it you like and just toss the bumper. The blanket that comes with it can be a cute wall hanging. :-) 

• I agree...go to the Academy of Pediatrics website and check out their link. Also, I bought a crib set and didn't use the bumper. I used the blanket that came with it as a throw for the rocking chair in the room.