Bedding

• I have heard so much about baby bedding and I am just wondering.  Do you put bumper pads around your crib?  I have read and also been told it is not safe to put bumper pads in your baby's crib anymore due to SIDS, you are only to put a mattress pad and a tight fitted sheet and put your baby in one of those sleep sacks to keep them warm.  Please enlighten me on what I am supposed to do.

• kseitz-This is a great question! I found a repeat of this question/post under the baby gear board and so I replied in full there. I'll have you check out that board so that we keep the discussion all in one place. If you can't find it or need any additional information please just let me know. Take care, Jessica
  • kseitz

I have heard so much about baby bedding and I am just wondering.  Do you put bumper pads around your crib?  I have read and also been told it is not safe to put bumper pads in your baby's crib anymore due to SIDS, you are only to put a mattress pad and a tight fitted sheet and put your baby in one of those sleep sacks to keep them warm.  Please enlighten me on what I am supposed to do.

I have 8 children and used the total bedding set with all of them except the 8 one.  I had heard about babies suffocating in the bumper pads, so I decided why take the chance.  Not sure if you've heard about drop side cribs being banned in the US.  Several babies have died or been injured due to the crib collapsing on one side which either wedged them between the mattress and side rail or caused them to suffocate.  Hope this helps.  

• The Academy of Pediatrics has some great advice on crib bedding and safety..you should check them out. There is great advice on proper bedding, clothing to put your baby in, and whether or not you should use bumper pads. If you have any more questions or are still unsure, talk to your pediatrician.

http://www.healthychildren.org/English/ages-stages/baby/sleep/Pages/Preventing-SIDS.aspx