To use old cribs or not....

• I am 15 weeks pregnant and I think I upset my husband's parents when they told me they would be getting out my husband's 30 year old crib to use when the baby came to visit.  I told them no.  While I have decided to look into using the crib my sister bought for my nephew it is 10 years old and not 30.  I have not fully agreed to use it because I have an irrational fear of old things.  Mainly because I just lost a baby in June of 09 and I don't want to jeopardize a new one with dirt, grim, bugs or anything else you can think of.  My husband thinks I am crazy but really am I? 

• TRY 2 GET A NEW 1 IF U CAN I PERSONALLY COULD'NT TRUST SOMETHING THAT OLD . I DONT THINK UR CRAZY

• Old cribs may not have the same safety features that you can find in a new crib.  

• My grandfather built a crib for me as an infant nearly 22 years ago.  He even put a plaque with my name, date, and message from him on the side.  the crib is absolutely gorgeous and stronger than some of the brand new furniture we have in our house.  I have the crib set up and once i feel my son is ready he will be sleeping in it.  My grandfather, father, and fiance have all checked all aspects of the crib and it fits all safety regulations that are out there today.  the choice is yours but for me, using my old crib was the best decision!  :)

• Visit the Consumer Product Safety Commission website to see if your crib is safe for your newborn. According to the site, your old crib must have a mattress that is firm and tight-fitting, there should be no missing or broken hardware or slats, slats should be no more than 23/8" apart (about the width of a soda can), corner posts should not be higher than 1/16", and there should be no design cutouts in the headboard or footboard. Antique cribs may have sentimental value, but to be safe, they must meet modern safety standards.

• After i had my son my mother used my and my sisters old crib so it was atleast 25 years old by then. It still fit all the safety features they have now the space between mattress and side and slat spacing. I'd look at it and see if it fits because they are really expensive and if you dont need to buy one then there isn't any reason too.

• We had used cribs for all 3 of our babies.. my now 4 yr old slept a crib from 1979 for nearly 3 years.  My 3 yr old slept in a crib that was probably 15-20 urs old for over 2 years, and my 14 month old is in a newer, but also prior used crib. 

As long as its sturdy and meets current regulations, there is no harm in a used crib IMHO.  Heck, DS's first mattress was as old as the crib too. (We got it from my aunt who had it stored for years in a cedar closet.