Detergents for baby

• Make your own.  We are doing that.  Good on babies b/c there is not extra stuff added.  It is cheap and easy to do.

• LoveFamily6 - 

Do you have a particular recipe you use? I'd be interested! 

• PediNurseJulie1  I do have a recipe that I follow.  IT is great with 4 kids 5 and under it really works to get out stains and it has a great smell and it does not bother my 5 month old.  If it is a tough stain just prtreat it like you would anyother stain.  It is Borax, laundary baking soda ( NOT cooking baking soda) and Fels-Naptha soap.  All this is found in the laundry section.  I found everything in Wal Mart but not every store has everything.  You just have to look.  If you want I could send you a link on how to make it or just tell you.  Just let me know.

• Could you please send me that link to the recipe? I desperately need that! I can't ever seem to get out stains.  And will it work on old stains or only new ones?

• Here are the ingredients you’ll need to pick up :

• Borax ($2.99 at Walmart or Target–in the laundry aisle,
    • Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda (NOT Baking Soda–$2.99 at local grocery store in laundry aisle,
    • Fels-Naptha Soap Bar ($1.56 at local grocery store in laundry aisle,
    • 5-gallon bucket with lid (around $4 at Home Depot)
    • 10 gallon milk jugs (or other containers) that have been cleaned and rinsed (the concentrate will disperse more evenly if you go ahead and divide it up.

1. Grate the entire bar of the Fels-Naptha soap.

2. Put in a pot with 4 cups of hot water. Stir continuously over medium-low heat until all of the soap flakes have dissolved and melted (about 10 minutes).     It should be slightly foamy with no “chunks” or flakes to be found

3. Fill a 5-gallon bucket half-full of hot water.

4. Pour in the soap mixture. Add 1 cup of Arm & Hammer Washing Soda and 1/2 cup Borax. Stir.

5. Fill the rest of the 5-gallon bucket with water until it is full. Stir again.

6. Cover and let it sit overnight

When you open the top up the next day, it should have gelled and thickened slightly. Stir again.

Use a funnel to fill a clean laundry detergent container (or gallon-size milk jug) and fill it HALF way with the soap mixture. Fill the other half with water and shake.

If you have any questions just ask.  :)

• I have 2 kids. My son 11yrs and my daughter 2 1/2yrs.  I used all free and clear for both and it is decently priced and works just as well as DREFT as well as the size loads.  Good luck on your search and decision.

• I use All free and clear.  It fits my budget and it has nothing that will irritate sensitive skin.