Swaddlers

• Swaddling a baby is one of the most important steps to comforting him/her during the first few months of life. I remember the nurses at the hospital could always roll my babies up like little burritos. However, when we got home we never could master the perfect swaddle. We tried several types of store bought swaddling blankets (the type with velcro), but never found the perfect style for us. Do you use swaddling blankets or have you mastered the art of swaddling? Do you have a certain brand that you think is great?

• I too have had problems mastering the art of swaddling, but my mom is really good at it.  I could never see spending the money on the special blankets they sell at the stores.  Since we have new baby coming in less than 6 weeks I'll probably ask my mom and the nurses at the hospital for another lesson.  Practice makes perfect...maybe I'll get it this time around!

• I have a 7 week old baby girl...and up to today she never wanted to sleep in her crib  during the day time...i could never do anything during the day unless i had someone with me to hold her when she was sleeping..well i discover that when i swaddeled her in she slept alone in her crib for 3 hours at a time...yey i have time to do things and to relax as well insted of holding her...i hope i can help...any swaddler is good in my situation the tighter the better!!!

• The store bought ones aren't worth the money!!  After spending 3 months in the NICU I can't say that I'm a master, but I did get pretty good at swaddling!  First make sure that the blanket you are using is much bigger than the baby.  Then start with one side and make sure that it is totally tucked around the abdomen or butt.  Next you'd flip the bottom up.  Finally tuck the opposite side around under the abdomen or butt.  You can't really get it too tight, trust me...as soon as you think you've done it too tight...they'll find a way to get out of it!  Mine didn't want swaddled anymore around 2 months...she just kinda outgrew it and would fight it until she was out!

• Swaddling allows an infant to feel the same confinment as he/she felt in the womb, which is the environment they are most used to. Snugly wrapping a child mimics the closeness of the womb and can help an infant fall and stay asleep, calm anxiety and fear, and provide physical and emotional comfort.  You don't have to purchase a fancy swaddling blanket, as any receiving blanket will do. The best way to swaddle is: (1) Fold one corner of the blanket down.  Place the infant in the middle of the fold with his/her head above the edge, (2) Pull the left side of the blanket snugly across the infant's chest, making sure the right arm is wrapped close to the body. Then lift the baby's left arm and securely tuck the blanket under body, (3) Bring the bottom of the blanket up and either fold the edge back or tuck it into the first swathe. Then pull the last corner of the blanket across the infant's chest, securing the left arm near the body, and lastly, (4) Tuck the blanket under baby's back as far as it will go. It is extremely IMPORTANT to remember that you should only swaddle a newborn (first few weeks post-birth) because as the infant grows older, restricting the movement of the legs and arms is preventing the development if motor skills. Make sure you only swaddle your baby in a cool environment to avoid overheating your infant, which can increase the risk of SIDS. Another great tip if your child doesn't respond well to swaddling is to purchase a sling carrier. This will help your child feel safe and secure.
  • I broght my daughter home memorial day weekend and she was impossible in the sleep dept. We had her 10 weeks early so I had my shower after she came home. Several people have given us the kiddopotomos swaddle blanket. They are great, but my daughter has reflux and lets say they are constantly in the wash. Our grandparents gave us a car seat and the wrapping was receiving blankets pinned together and decorated by socks. one day I was so tired and all the swaddlers were in the wash. Someone wrapped her in the receiving blanket and pinned it shut with the old fashioned pins you would use with cloth diapers. They said as long as you watch her that she doesn't un do it, it should be ok. My daughter slept fine so I began using those in the day and swaddlers at night. I mentioned to my doc that lately she has been getting her arms out. She told me that might be her way of getting ready to go without.

• I have two things working against me: I am claustrophobic and a bad swaddler! Seeing my daughter all bound up in the hospital made ME uncomfortable! But I can't argue against the logic or effectiveness of it...Whatever works!

• I bought this kidoppatamus for my son on ebay for 3 bucks..my son would not sleep for nothing..he is 4 months old, we have been swaddling for a month now..and he sleeps through the night ever since!

• I'd woudn't say i mastered it with my first but i do hope it's a talent once learned stays learned like riding a bike as i'm 15 weeks with our second. we never used the special ones. He had one blanket he liked the best so we always used the same one it was (and i mean was becasue now it goes everywhere withus) very soft and kindof fuzzy. I started on his left side and wraped it around and tucked it under his bottom i gave him a little extra room to move his feet so he wouldn't kick out of it as easy when i brought the bottom corner upand i tucked the corner of that piece under the first side i flipped to kind of hold it in place and then i brought over the last corner adn tucked that under his left side. I did it so i ended on the left side because that was the the way i usaully would hold him so it stayed tucked in when he was carrying him around because the open part would be toward me and pinned down by me. But make sure the blanket your using is more then big enough but not too big or else there will be too much extra cloth. And try and see if there's a certin blanket they perfer over the rest and then try and use that one as much as possible.  another thing i did when he was having alot of trouble i'd take the shirt i was wearing that day and wrap that around the blanket that was around him and then he had my scent to help him feel better. its a big comfort thing and the more cozy and safe they feel the better they'll sleep.

• I have a 2 week old son who can always get his arms out of the swaddle and I know I am wrapping him correctly and tight enough. I found a product called the Miracle Blanket that is soooo wonderful. It has two flaps or pockets that keeps babys arms down, allows for leg movement, and has plenty of material for a very good wrap. I use this at night to help him establish a routine and sleep longer at night, he still doesnt sleep for more than 4 hours at a time during the night but even that is great for me. I read some reviews from others saying their little ones who are older than mine are sleeping 6 or more hours a night with this great blanket!!! Lucky!!!

• There is a video out called "The Happiest Baby on the Block" available at most libraries.  It shows you how to do the perfect swaddle, as well as some other soothing methods.

• LOL VERY TRUE!!I USE THE UPRIGHT ONE NOW N SHE LOVES IT!

• Both.  If you want an easy velcro type kiddapotamus is really good. If all we have on hand is a normal blanket then we use that. NO WORRIES it takes practice no ones perfect at it their first time just keep practicing (can even practice on stuffed animals (they wiggle less too). Just relax you'll get it

• This exactly! It is great!