Getting rid of the night time bottle.

• My baby is 9 1/2 months old and she wakes several times in the night. I thought she would be sleeping through the night or at least longer intervals. But this isn't even my concern. She likes to have her bottle all night.  Sometimes I make 3 8oz bottles a night. I have tried soothing her and letting her cry but she just simply wants her bottle. This worries me that she will develop ear problems. I do not want to lay her down with a bottle. What should I do to break her from this? Thanks. 

• I think it's a good idea to try and get rid of those night time bottles. It's hard to figure out how to break a habit, but you are right. Night time bottles can lead to more ear infections and her teeth can have decay issues from being constantly bathed in sugary milk all night long.

It's probably going to be a difficult couple of nights but you can do this! Try giving your daughter her normal bedtime routine and a bottle before bed for one last feeding. Introduce something for her to hold besides the bottle. Sometimes children have a favorite blanket or stuffed animal that they really love. This can be soothing for her when she is breaking a habit like bottles. When she wakes up at night crying for her bottle, go into her room, give her the blanket/stuffed animal, pat her back and make sure she is comfortable, then leave the room. If she is still crying after 5-10 minutes, go back in, soothe her, and leave the room again. It'll seem like an ETERNITY that she is crying but eventually she will start to go back to sleep and wake up less often for the bottle. Try calling your pediatrician's office nurse for any other suggestions. I hope this helps a bit. I thought breaking my son's habit of pacifier use would be horribly painful but it went a lot better than expected. Good luck! 

• I love the point that Nurse Julie makes about replacing that bottle with something else that is soothing to your baby.  I think this is a great idea as it may be that those night bottles are just for comfort.  I think that it would be wise to visit your babies doctor while working through this.  I'd like to make sure that everything is going ok growth wise as I want to make sure that your baby is going to continue to gain weight and grow in height and head circumference without those two extra bottles at night.  

-Jess

• I agree it's time for the bottle to go, but in the short run, that can always be a little painful. The advice here is sound and replacing with something is the logical next step. There might be some sleepless nights ahead of you, but if you stay strong for a week or so, you should be able to break this habit.

• I agree with PediNurse Julie and the others...you have to get rid of these bottles. At this point she doesn't need those bottles, but she is just used to getting them. Make sure she is getting enough food to eat during the day and drinking enough bottles during the day and then buckle down for a long weekend. Yes, she will cry at night, but you will have to just go back in there and calm her down and then leave again. Eventually, she will go to sleep and then it will get easier each time. If you give in though after an hour of crying, she will learn that she just has to wait you out in order to get what she wants, so whatever you do...don't give in!
    Good luck and let us know how it goes.  

• Tashawatwood2 -

I wanted to check in and see how things are going with the night time bottles.  Would love an update!

-Jess