Breast feeding

• I am having a baby in jan, and I'm so nervous about breast feeding. This will be my second baby..... I had such a hard time with my first that I gave up after 2 and half months of crying with him while trying to feed him. I was not going to breast feed this baby but these past few days I have given it lots of thought and really feel like I should give it try. Does anyone have any advise to give me to help with the latching and making this experience better.

• Firstly you should know that each baby is different, so even though your first didn't take to breastfeeding easily there is nothing that can say that this baby will do the same. While you're in the hospital ask for a lactation consultant. several of the nurses when i had my daughter were also certified lactation consultants so you shouldn't have a hard time getting help from one. I would have to say the most useful advice i received pertaining to latching on was to rub your nipple against the babys upper lip to get the mouth to open then quickly pull the baby onto the breast. the other bit of advice that was helpful to me was to gently rub the babys jaw line to get the baby to suck. I found the football hold easiest when my daughter was really little, then the cradle hold later on. Really what it boils down to is practicing and figuring out what works best. the baby may catch on really easily or you might have to work on it for a bit. Remember there is always someone you can contact to get more help if you need it. you can probably get some contact info from your ob office or the babies doctor office. Also if you can't make breast feeding work then it's not the end of the world. Similac makes an excellent product (which my daughter has thrived on).

• I just had my third and have tried breastfeeding all 3. Each time has been a little bit different so I would say if you want to try it, you should. If your hospital has a lactation nurse, take full advantage to help with the latching. Mine has been the same ladies all 3 times and I would have been lost without their help. :)

• I just had my 3rd baby and breastfeeding has been different each time for me. You could try it for a little while but don't stress out over it if you decide to quit. Take advantage of your hospital's lactation consultant. I would have been lost without mine's help.

• Thank you everyone for your suggestions .... I started reading about a nipple shield and was wondering what yor thoughts were? Has anyone used it and did it help with the latching?

• I have heard that they can help with latching, but i have never used them so i don't have any personal experience to pull from. I would say just give it a go at the hospital with the help of the  lactation consultant and see how the baby does. If it looks like he/she is having trouble latching on then i'd ask if the shields could help. You never know... this baby might just be a breastfeeding champ. So don't get too discouraged before you have even started.

• If your natural instinct is to try and breastfeed, then give it your best shot. Just remember that if it doesn't work out that there is nothing wrong with you. There is a lot of pressure on moms to nurse, but it doesn't always work out or is not always possible.Like everything else as a parent, find out as much information as possible, give it your best shot and do what is best for baby. Good luck!

• My first month of breastfeeding my son was pretty rough but I stuck with it and now we have a really good routine. You have to be patient. This was my first child so I'm new at this but I find breastfeeding to be a really nice bonding tool. With latching, you have to make sure to get a technique down so that the little gets the entire nipple and not just the tip. Boppy pillow will be your best friend so please invest in one if you haven't already.  DRINK LOTS OF WATER!!! stay away from caffiene and soda. You have to remember that whatever you eat goes into the milk.

• So glad you are considering breast feeding your second - in my experience as a nurse, different babies are often very different experiences for moms. I'd just try to go into this birth with a "let's see how it goes" attitude and you might be very surprised! As the other mothers said, I'd get a lactation nurse to help you out and perhaps even attend a breastfeeding class if you haven't tried one already.  Like Brinny said, brushing the nipple against the baby's upper lip can often get them to open wide. Bring the baby in quickly to your breast to get your nipple deep into the mouth when it is open wide. Often a baby is tired in the first day or so and some feeds will go well, while others will be sleepy. Just keep trying and if your baby is sleepy, put him or her on your chest for some skin to skin time. 

Nipple shields are often best for babies that have trouble coordinating their suck or if they have difficulty latching on to your nipple if it's flat/short. You usually just use them for a little while as your baby is learning to breast feed. It's something you can ask the nurses about. I hope this helps a bit. I think you won't regret giving it a try - you can always stop if it's as stressful as last time. Hopefully it won't be! :-) 

• I used a nipple shield for the first couple of weeks with my son and it really helped.  It helped ease the pain of his latch and eventually I didn't need it anymore.  Good luck!

• Stellae4-Glad it worked out for you! It's a good thing there are some helpful tools out there to help feeding go well. :-) 

• babyzilla7321-

Good for you sticking with it - it can be pretty frustrating if things are not going well! I'm glad you are in a good routine and enjoying the bonding that breast feeding can bring. I, too, love my Boppy when breast feeding!! I have a friend who didn't want hers anymore after she weaned her child, so I have one upstairs and one downstairs. It saves my back when breast feeding since I have such a tall torso. 

Cute profile picture, by the way. :-)