Healthy Tricks

• I’ve recently discovered the power of smoothies! My son loves to add things to the smoothie and push the button to puree it all. So far we’ve done smoothies with some milk, fruit, ice, spinach, and carrots in it! It’s so fabulous when he drinks it all down and loves it…what an easy way to get healthy foods down him. Do any of you have a favorite smoothie recipe or just an easy way to get kids to eat healthy foods? – Julie, StrongMoms Facilitator

• One thing our kids love is dips! So we created a healthy dip that we have them dip fruit into. We take some low fat plain yogurt and puree some fresh berries and then slice apples really thin. They eat the yogurt and all the apple pieces and we feel like this is a good snack for them. We haven't tried too many smoothies but now I'm thinking we should!

• Those are both awesome ideas. I will have to keep them in the back of my mind for when hazel is old enough.

• Smoothies and dips are always great. You can also chop up veggies really fine and add them to tomato sauce or other sauces. This increases the veggie content of their dinners. Also, I like to give my kids a gold star for trying new foods that they are not sure about. This is helpful in getting them to expand their palates and makes it seem more fun and less scary.

• PediNurseJulie1, that would be very interesting. 

• MommyRN4 - we just did this! I made some pizza and chopped up yellow squash into small, fine bits and added it to the sauce. My son never noticed it and chomped it all down. It's a good way to get more veggies in. AnswerDad - what a great dip idea! I'll be sure to try it with my boy - I think he'll like it! 

• Make sure to experiment with different dips and salad dressings...my kids don't like ranch (go figure right!) but they all love tangy bacon catelina and asian dressing. LOL! Just keep experimenting until you find the one that he likes and then you can use that to dip veggies in and chicken etc.

• My mom used to sneak veggies into everything-pasta sauce, pizza, nachos-she was sneaky! lol.  I love the smoothie idea.  We just got a new blender so if anyone wants to share their favorite smoothie recipe I'm on the hunt for new smoothies!

-Jess