Going dairy free

• My little man has been extremely fussy and irritable. I decided to take the advice of a lactation nurse and cut out dairy from my diet. He is a new baby!! Calm, happy, sleeping well. The only thing is that I’m struggling to find ways to eat delicious food without my beloved cheese, yogurt, etc. Does anyone have some good alternatives for dairy that you use? -- Julie, StrongMoms Facilitator

• WOw!  That is great that he is doing so much better.:)  I know that there are a lot of people with milk problems and so a lot of the grocery stores on the west coast have soy options-and lots of them.  Soy ice cream-very good, soy milks, cheeses, ect.  I think that sometimes it works better to not try to replace things as then you are thinking about how much "Better" the other version was. Perhaps replacing those things with totally different foods would help.  Do you notice that it's certain meals that are harder, or times of the day?

-Jess

• Soy makes great ice cream...plus I like chocolate covered frozen banans. Also almond milk is great to use in oatmeal, cereal, and even to drink (Especially the chocolate ones). Cheese is a bit harder, but you may find that your little boy tolerates you eating small amounts of cheese, such as feta or goat cheese. Glad to hear that he is doing well.

• Soy ice cream is really pretty good.  I went dairy free for a few months and got hooked on this cherry soy ice cream with dairy free chocolate chunks in it.  Really good!

-Jess

• Ohhhh that does sound good. I may have to try that out!