Introducing Rice Cereal—When Did you do it?

• I know that babies are supposed to be introduced to rice cereal between 4 and 6 months. I usually wait until the 6 month mark to start rice cereal…but some of my friends start it right at 4 months. When did you introduce cereal to your baby? - Bonnie, StrongMoms Facilitator

• Hazel was about 4 1/2 months when i started her on rice cereal. I wanted to wait longer but she just seemed constantly hungry on formula. So by recommendation from her doctor we started some cereal along with formula and that helped hold her over a lot better.

• never did I just went feed her veggies at 5 months. she loves carrots!

• Jmilly - So great that your little one got onto a veggie kick early in life! How is she doing now? She must be eating some different foods by now. Which ones are her favorites? 

• Yes she is..her favorites are carrots, chiken noodle, peas. :)  she looks forward eating too :D

• Brinny that seems to be quite common with kids I have cared for.  

Jmilly-great that your little one is liking the veggies!

-Jess

• My kids were never hungry for solid foods! I waited until 6 months, and even then I had to force the issue. They all got the hang of it by 7months old, but they really took their times!! LOL!

• Jmilly - so cute! Sounds like you have a good little eater on your hands. Gotta love that! 

• I started my lil one with rice cereal at 3 1/2mts almost 4mts she absolutely loves it! In a few days I will give her veggies hope she likes them.
  • If she turns her nose up at the green vegetables, you could start her on blander sweeter ones like sweet potatoes, corn, and carrots. Those are always crowd pleasers. Then move towards peas and green beans. My kids did just fine with veggies of all sorts, but some kids don't like them. Just keep introducing them and she will learn to like them.

• Mi1st - I hope your daughter is a good eater for you with veggies but if you run into any trouble, MommyRN4 has great advice for you! It's always fun to see the faces they make when they try new foods. :-p
  • We started at 4-5 months with each. My mother-in-law pureed blueberries as well and mixed them with rice cereal and oatmeal. She freezes them into little hockey puck shapes and has dubbed them "blue rockets." All of my kids LOVED these!

• AnswerDad - Nice! I'm going to have to try Blue Rockets if I have another! They sound yummy!
  • It is best to start at six months. That way you'll know that your child's stomach is prepared to take in something new. Many rules of taking care of a baby has changed as well as the ingredients put into the food. Always go by your pediatrician and if you feel that they might be wrong then go by your motherly instincts. It will never fail you.

• jcelie - Good advice!! I like to use a good balance of pediatrician advice and mother instinct. It hasn't failed me yet! It did take me a few tries to get a pediatrician that jived with my parenting style but it was worth it to look around and find a good one! Do you find yours to be responsive to your instincts?