Nut allergy

• My middle daughter has a severe nut allergy which scares me now that she is in preschool. The public elementary school has nut free zones in the cafeteria, but the preschool does no such thing. Would I be wrong about addressing this issue with her preschool and encouraging them to have a “nut-free” classroom for eating? -- Chris, Strongmoms Facilitator

• I would most definitely address it. If they aren't willing to accomodate this life threatening allergy to keep your child safe while in their care then i would seriously have to reconsider that preschool. The daycare that my frinend takes her children to are very accomodating when it comes to allergies. It doesn't matter what the allergy is they make sure each child is accomodated and even have signs posted that say XXXX is not allowed because of allergy concerns. They even changed the hand soap that they use because my fiends daughter is allergic to shea butter. I think when it comes to things like allergies the people caring for your child MUST change a thing or two to keep her safe.

• I think Brinny is right on with this-safety must come first.  Nut allergies are frightening, and I think that whatever is needed to keep your child safe is reasonable.  Make sure that everyone involved in her care has education about her allergy, what symptoms she has, and how to treat it.  Then make sure they have the medications she needs should she have a reaction and that they know how to use them.  With good education she can have a safe and fun preschool experience.

-Jess

• Nope! We gotta look out for our kids - nut allergies are fairly common these days it seems. People should understand the importance of keeping kids safe! 

• My preschool offers nut free snacks there... and the kids don't do lunch there. They do have a lunch bunch option you can purchase but it is not nut free and they make sure to tell parents whose kids have allergies. Most parents don't send their kids to the lunch portion. I think because it is preschool that you most certainly should bring it up...also, consider finding a school that is more in line with allergies. You can't be too careful really.

• The recent news of a 13-year old girl who took one bite of a rice krispie treat that had peanut butter and who eventually died despite her doctor father administer two epipen shots sparked me into action. We love her preschool, so I decided to meet with the director and ask if we could develop better accommodations with nut allergies. I brought the article regarding the tragedy and explained that there are alternatives and asked them to consider becoming a nut-free facility. I even suggested that they replace their peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with sun butter, made from sunflower seeds. Not quite as good as peanut butter but on a sandwich with jelly it's safe and still tastes pretty good. They are seeing what they can do to implement a better plan. Thanks for the encouragement everybody!

• Great job Answerdad, you get the Awesomedad award! :) -Jess

• Wow! Good job being so proactive. Let us know how it goes.

• Thanks ladies!