Spitting food everywhere!

• My 7 month old son has started spitting food everywhere and blowing "raspberries" every time I try to feed him. It has gotten to the point where I dread feeding him because I get more on me than I do in him. How can I get him to realize that dinnertime is NOT a game? -- Bonnie, Strongmoms Facilitator

• This is a tough task at 7 months. All you can do is negative reinforcement, but that doesn't always work at that age. For now, you may need a bib as much as the baby!

• MommyRN-

For that first year of life table foods are really just for learning, socialization and fun, so you don't have to worry to much about actual intake as long as he is getting good nutrition through either breast feeding, formula or a combo of the two.  So, I'd have to agree with Answerdad, cover up-and maybe a face and eye shield too?!  Just kidding, but seriously good luck and keep us posted.  -Jess

• Yikes! :-p I guess just maybe give him something that is safe to kind of gum on and chew a little bit till he gets out of this stage. :-p 

• Well when he started really blowing raspberries, I would say "okay, dinner is done" and then stop feeding him. Luckily, he got the picture and within a few weeks he was no longer "showering" us with his dinner!!! LOL!

• Great news! That negative reinforcement really does work at that age!