How do you encourage healthy eating habits?

• I am always trying to get my children to eat healthy, but sometimes it is quite a challenge. What are some good healthy snacks that your kids like to eat? Are there any great tricks for getting your kids to eat healthy? -- Bonnie, Strongmoms Facilitator

• I think that having health snacks in the house that are either ready to eat or easy to fix is essential.  Taking extra effort to make a healthy snack can make it to hard to do. Some favorites I have: string cheese, popcorn, nuts, fruit with peanut butter...

Jess

• I recently (in the last year or so) have received a food network magazine with an after school snack boklet. These are some of my favorite ideas

Fruit dip: Put fruit onto skewers and dip into this yummy sounding dip (1C low fat sour cream, 2tbsp brown sugar, 2tbsp lime juice,.. sprinkle cinnamon sugar over the top.)

granola bars: melt 2tbsp butter in a sauce pan with 1/3 cup each honey and brown sugar, and a pinch of salt. mix in 2 cups of rolled oats, 1 cup each of chopped nuts and dried fruit, and 2tbsp of wheat germ. Press into a parchment-lined 8 inch square pan and bake 30min at 300 degrees F. Cool then cut into bars.

Pinwheels: Spread scallion cream cheese on a sundried tomato tortilla and top with thinly sliced ham. Roll up the tortilla and cut into 1/2" pieces.

Yogurt and granola: Mix 3C rolled oats, 1 C mixed seeds, 1C chopped mixed nuts, 1/4C Shredded coconut, and a pinch of salt and cinnamon. Toss with 1 tbsp vegetable oil and 3 tbsp honey. Spread on a baking sheet and bake 25min at 325 degrees F. Tossing occasionally. Cool then stir on 2C mixed dried fruit. Serve over yogurt of choice (My favorite is vanilla).

Salsamole: Mix 1/2C Salsa, 2 mashed avcados, 2 tbsp each lime juice and chopped cilantro. Salt to tast. Serve with tortilla chips.

Hummus and Pita strips: I have several recipes if anyone wants them (black bean hummus, edamame hummus, white bean hummus)

Apple moons: Slice an apple into wedges and spread on peanut or almond butter then press into granola.

better brownies: Prepare your favorite brownie mix, adding 1C shredded zucchini (squeezed dry). pour into mini muffin cups and bake at 350 for 15-18 minutes.

Berry brownies:  Prepare your favorite brownie mix, pour into mini muffin cups and press a raspberry or strawberry slice into the center. bake at 350 for 15-18 minutes.

Loaded oatmeal cookies: Prepare a 17.5oz oatmeal cookie mix as the label directs, but substitute 1/2C applesauce for the butter or oil, and add 1/4C weat germ and 1C each Chopped mixed nuts, dried fruit and shredded coconut to the batter.

Fruit leather: Mix 1/3 Cup no sugar added fruit preserves with 1tsp cornstarch. spread into a 2 by 12 inch strip on greased parchment. Bake at 225 for 45 minutes then cool. Trim the parchment then roll up.

Hope these will be some fresh ideas for everyone to try out

• Wow Brinny, GREAT recipes!  I'm going to have to try that fruit dip, sounds amazing.  I also LOVE hummus, I just buy a mediterranean blend at the store.  Really good on cucumbers that are slides like coins.  YUM!  I've never made homemade granola, but the granola bars don't look to hard.  I know what I'm doing this weekend!!!  Healthy snack cooking extravaganza. :)

Thanks for sharing,

jess

• No problem. I'm glad you liked some of them. I am always on the hunt for new recipes and ideas, so if you are ever in need of new ideas i'm your gal. You should check out Food neetworks website and all recipes too. There are always new ieas on there...

• I'll have to check that out.  I've done pretty well on pinterest as well.  I am visual and like to see the pictures. :)

-Jess

• Thanks Brinny! I want to endorse all of your recipes! My kids' favorite is simply to slice apples thin and allow them to dip into yogurt. They have never not consumed all of it!

• Thanks Brinny! Those are great!