Feeding

• Before I came back to work my now 3 month old daughter was eating great. She should be eating 4 to 5 bottles a day of 4 to 6 oz. but now sometimes she will eat all 6 oz. and sometime she will only eat 1 or 2 oz. is that normal and is it ok? Also she is in day care and she defiantly does not eat the same for them like she does for me, she eats less, is that normal? I just want to make sure she is getting enough food.

• All babies go through a period of not eating as much as they used to....and then one day they go through a growth spurt and eat lots more than they used to. In general though, there are a couple of things you need to look for.

• Is her weight gain appropriate?
    • Is she having wet and poopy diapers every day?
    • Is she crankier than usual or just as happy?
    • Are they feeding her at the day care the same way you do?
    • Are they warming up her bottle enough?

It could be that your little one prefers to take in 6 oz every 4 hours instead of 4 oz every 3 hours. She is still getting the same amount, but in a different way.  One day, add up the amount of food she is getting in 24 hours, then call your doctor and ask him if it is an appropriate amount for a 3 month old to be taking. More than likely, if her weight gain is still good, your doctor won't be concerned.

Some babies will eat less at day care and then eat lots and lots over the next 12 hours when they are home to make up the difference. By totalling her 24 hour consumption, you may be surprised how much she is really taking.

Good luck

• Mommy RN's advice is perfectly said... Babies eat when they are hungry. If your baby is hungry, she will eat!