Nursing in public

• When I nursed my son I was terrified of nursing in public. I would nurse in a stinky bathroom stall before risking public exposure. The second time around I vowed to master nursing discreetly. I started out wearing a nursing top and Bella Band, while also using a nursing cover. Before long, I could latch my daughter on effortlessly without showing skin and using just her blankie. How have you dealt with nursing in public?

• My wife started out with a cover up device she carried in her diaper bag, and often would use a full blanket  or other large object to cover up when available. By the end she could cover up with just a shirt or other small piece of cloth. I think, as always, with practice comes comfort and perfection.

• I was so modest before I had my daughter. Not any more! I don't mind nursing in public. The cover ups do work great. I have the BEBE AU Lait brand with the bonig at the top so I can see baby.  Another trick is to use a dressing room because they're ususlly much cleaner than restrooms.  The trouble I have is not so much strangers but aquaintances, like at a party or church meeting for example.  Can I nurse sitting right out there with everyone using my cover up or do I have to seclude myself? 

• arbsmommmy, you can do either one. Some people, as always, will be uncomfortable with you nursing (even with the cover up) in front of them, but if you are comfortable then unless they ask you to move I dont think it's really that much of an issue. And if they do, it's up to you if you want to debate them about your right to nurse in public or move to somewhere more remote and continue. Remember no one has the right to choose where to nurse except you! Smile

• I found that the more comfortable you were with it, everyone was fine.  The most I got still makes me laugh, I'm young and especially around friends that I've known for years I really don't care nor do they.  It's harder for me to nurse in public, but i think my third time around I'll be fine LOL every baby brings a new light to breast feeding for me.  The only time we breastfed out in public with my son was in the theater, mainly because it takes time to breastfeed and I wasn't going to drag my 2 year old all over to try and breast feed the baby.  I stayed home alot and went to family and friends houses, but rarely OUT.  It was tough, this time I'm going to pump alot more and probably supplement until my milk dries up on its own. 

• THE FIRST FEW WEEKS, I STRUGGLED WHEN NURSING IN PUBLIC. I WAS SHY/EMBARASS. NOW, I'M CONFIDENT AND I DO BREASTFEED REGARDLESS OF WHERE I AM. I DO COVER MYSELF WITH A RECEIVING BLANKET & FEEL REALLY COMFORTABLE. MY GREATEST SATISFACTION IS THAT I'M DOING WHAT'S BEST FOR MY SON. NURSE HOWEVER YOU FEEL COMFORTABLE! IT'S NOT WRONG TO NURSE IN PUBLIC..FEED YOUR BABY WHENEVER SHE/HE IS HUNGRY AND WHEREVER YOU ARE..

• I think nursing in public is much more accepted nowadays than it ever was before. I was in Border's book store last week with a friend when a woman in the cafe with us very confidently and discreetly breastfed her son. No one batted an eye at her actions, even though she was literally sitting in the middle of the cafe.

Breastfeeding mothers have become more and more comfortable with doing this because of products that are out there to help them, and therefore, the general public has become more aware of their needs. I think it's totally up to the mom about what she's comfy doing.

• I have the same problem with doing it infront of people. I always dread when we go to family get-togethers where tons of people are and I have to excuse us to a bedroom or somewhere out of the way..  I always try to arrange it where he eats right before we get there.. lol..  I think its just me whos the shy one..

As for in public while out shopping or elsewhere I can always feed him in the truck before or after a store..

• That is interesting, which has been a more uncomfortable situation (if only at first) - feeding publicly around strangers or around friends/family?

• For me it was much harder nursing around family. I really don't care what strangers think. I care much more about my family. Strangers don't seem to notice either. My family always acted like they were uncomfortable.

• I haven't been able to nurse my son yet, as he's still on a fortified diet perscribed by our pedi, but I am the same way about using the breats pump.  My husband is the only one I'm comfortable using it around, and have suffered extreme discomfort when I have family visiting and am too shy to pump even after 5 or 6 hours.  My mother doesn't understand why it makes me uncomfortable, and has even said that it's offensive that I leave the room in order to do so. 

Am I just being over self-concious?  Using the pump is uncomfortable for me from the start because it feels very unnatural, so having even my mother in the room while I do so make it even worse.

• No you are not being overly self-conscious! Oh my, I could not imagine pumping in front of my family. I'm dying just thinking about it. It was even awkward in front of my husband. I always felt like, here I am with my mummy tummy hanging out and my girls being pulled through a tube. Now matter how you look at it, it just wasn't a pretty sight. Big Smile

Don't go without pumping until you are uncomfortable. That isn't fair to you and can lead to painful problems. I always just walked out, pumped, and came back. Usually, no one would even notice.

• I find it hardest to nurse infront of family and friends..  I also find it uncomfortable answering q's from my nephews.. I don't mind it but I think their parents should explain it to them better...  Lol it shocks you when a 7 year old boy asks you how babies breastfeed.. and why he always has to feed in the bedroom... lol  kids!

• I JUST RECENTLY STARTED TO PUMP..I DO IT IN FRONT OF MY HUBBY WHO GETS A LAUGH..I ALSO PUMP IN FRONT OF MY FEMALE RELATIVES..LIKE MY SISTERS, MY MOM, AUNTIES, COUSINS AND EVEN FRIENDS. I STARTED TO PUMP SO MUCH, THAT MY MOM FEEDS MY 9-MONTH OLD COUSIN WHOM SHE TAKES CARE OF..WHAT DO YA'LL THINK ABOUT THAT? I WASN'T TOO SURE AT FIRST, BUT IT SEEMS LIKE IF THE BABY LOVES IT. WITH MY MILK, HE'LL SLEEP FOR A LONG PERIOD OF TIME AND WHEN THEY GIVE HIM FORMULA..HE WON'T SLEEP AS MUCH..

• I wear a nursing bra and a nursing camisole under my clothes.

Then I feed my hungry infant/baby/toddler when she's hunger--on the bus, at a restaurant, on a plane, at the financing office of the car dealer, at an outdoor concert....

I don't really "deal" with it.  I just feed.