feeding and sleeping cycles

• Every baby is different.  Also, it may not be a realistic expectation that she sleeps through the night.  Babies have shorter sleep cycles than adults.  Also, their sleep cycles often change...especially if they are coming up on a growth spurt or development milestone.

• welton2010-there are several things that could be contributing to your daughter waking up more often. It is possible she is simply having a growth spurt, causing her to need more calories and feeding times during the night. You can also talk to your pediatrician about when you can start your daughter on some rice cereal. This can keep her tummy full a little longer at night. Does she sleep in the same room as you? If she does, moving her to her own room can help decrease distractions at night. Four and half months is a little early for teething, but it has been known to happen. If she is showing signs of breaking her first tooth through, there are a number of things you can do to help relieve her pain. Your pediatrician can talk you through them all. Hang in there - this, too, shall pass!
  • Welton 2010--Direct quotes from the American Academy of Pediatrics Policy Statement:

• Complementary foods rich in iron should be introduced gradually beginning around 6 months of age.
    • Unique needs or feeding behaviors of individual infants may indicate a need for introduction of complementary foods as early as 4 months of age, whereas other infants may not be ready to accept other foods until approximately 8 months of age.
  • I followed the BabyWise w/my 1st son & he is now 4.  For 3 years we've been fighting his poor eating habits. Turns out, feeding on a schedule, instead of demand, messes up the child's ability to recognize their own hunger.  He doesn't know when he's hungry & will forever pay the price of me wanting to be on a schedule.  Yes, BabyWise helps you get a schedule, but I just don't recommend it.  I've felt guilty about doing parent-directed approach to feeding for 3 years.  Please think about that before you start using BabyWise program...  Sorry to be a downer, but this is my biggest regret in life to date!  No way I'm doing that program w/baby #2.