Is it too early to start baby foods and cereals?

• My little girl is almost 11 weeks old, and we went out of town to visit my mother.  While we were there, we started her on baby puree'.  She seems to be doing fine, but I am getting a lot of flack from my mother-in-law about it.  She bases everything on her kids (my husband is her youngest and he's 23) and she hasn't had any in a while.

• The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends only formula or breastmilk until six months of age. Some pediatricians will give the go ahead to start with cereal at four months. It is always best to speak with your pediatrician before making any diet changes.

• I agree with BabyNurse3 ... babies can develop allergies or gain too much weight or miss out on nutrients ... check with your pediatrician.

• Talk to your pediatrician about starting you baby on foods that early. S/he may give you the green light on it or may tell you it's better to wait longer. Since S/he actually sees your baby they'll be better able to help you make the determination as to whether or not your lil girl is ready for baby foods.

Don't let your MIL give you flack about your parenting choices. This is YOUR baby not hers. It may help to, gently, remind her that while you appreciate advice, in the end, you are the mother and it's up to you whether you take that advice or not.

• My son is 10 weeks old and I have yet to start him on some cereal but both his grandparents say that he should already be eating cereal. I asked my son's doctor about this and she says not until 4 months.

My son seems to be fine without it so I am going to wait.

• My daughter was about 3 and a half months old when i started her on cereal and she did really well she took to it like she had been doing it since birth. I would think that 10 weeks old is a little early.