Breast Pumps...

• Does anyone have any recommendation on a breast pump. I am borrowing the Medela Pump in Style from a friend and it is working out well. I am thinking of maybe buying a pump of my own. I will be going back to work in a couple weeks and will be pumping in my car. My neighbor recommended to get a Ameda because of pumping with the car adapter. Any info, tips or advice? Pump in Style vs the Ameda Purely Yours Ultra?
  • I have used my Purely Yours for 2 kids and I lent it to my cousin as well.  I found it easy to use at work and did use the car adapter once or twice with no problems.

• I can't speak from experience about the Ameda pump but I used the Medela Pump In Style for my little boy when I went back to work. I successfully breastfed him until 12 months of age and that particular pump helped a lot. I'm not sure about it having a car adapter, though. It'd be worth checking out!

• I use Medela Pump in Style and love it.  Just remember you get what you pay for.  

• Medela has a car adapter. Employers are required to provide a room for you to pump. Google it. Check with your healt insurance before you buy a pump. Most offer durable equipment which will cover the cost. Mine paid 100%. Good luck.
  • I use the pump in style and love it. I bought a inverter so I could pump in my car as well as I am on the road a lot. I know medela also sells a car adaptor. I do not know anything about Ameda. (I bought the inverter so I could plug in other things as well like my cell phone, laptop, camera instead of the car adaptor that medela sells.)

• You can also buy a car adapter for Medela or use the battery packSmile

• I use the Purely Yours Ultra and love it, there aren't many parts to clean and you can use the wipes Medela makes after pumping to clean the parts.  I know the PIS is good too!  I think the PIS would be better for car pumping since you just attach the tubing and whatnot to the side of the bag. 

• Stick with the Medela Pump in Style.  I purchased the car adapter with mine.  I have 4 kids with my oldest born in 2001.  I purchased the pump in Style back in 2001 and today with baby #4 it's still working very well!  I also purchased the single manual Medela Harmony hand pump and like that very much as well.  Sometimes off 1 side I can get more milk expressed using the Harmony than I can using the Pump in Style.  It just depends on the day and how full I am when I pump.  I am also back to work full time and the Medela works great!

• I am a first time mom and following the advise of my friends got a pump in style. I like it. I have a low milk supply and am working with a lactation consultant who recommended I rent the hospital grade Medela Symphony to get my milk production up. I rented the Symphony and now wish I had purchased this in the first place. It is more quiet and stimulates differently than the pump in style. I get more milk faster with the Symphony. I will be sad to have to return it at the end of the month but will continue using the pump in style. The benefit of the pump in style is that it has the carrying case and bells and whistles with it. The Symphony came to me by itself but in my opinion is the superior pump.

• The symphony is a great pump.  I am able to use one at work, since I work at a hospital.  The big problem with the symphony for home use is it is a $1200.00 pump. 

• I have been pumping for 6 months today and I love my Medela Pump in Style! I got mine as a gift as my little one has a medical condition called Pierre-Robin Syndrome and is unable to eat normally and has had to have two surgeries on her jaw so far. But I can say I love my pump and it does amazing. It does a really good job and I love the bag that comes with the storage bottles and cooling pack to keep the milk good. I really really really recommend this type!

• Hello,

I use the Platex Necessities Pump. I like it because it kind of massages your nipples as it pumps. it has a very soft rubber lining for the pump. It was only $85 and you can pump right into the Playtex Drop-ins bottles.

Any system that I have is at night I use Playtex Drop-in bottles because they warm up faster in my bottle warmers and during the day I use the Playtex Ventaire bottles during the day.

I hope this helps.

• I would stick with the Medela if you're happy with it so far. I've never used the car adapter for it but I know it's not very expensive. Everyone I know that's used the Pump in Style has liked it.