Breastfeeding Obstacles & Scheduling Wonders

• I am a new mom of an 8 week old. We did not have the smoothest transition into breast feeding as I had a c-section and then my baby was in the special care nursery due to me being given magnesium...she initially would latch, but "wasn't patient" so the hospital supplemented with formula. They told me I would have no problem once my "milk came in". Once I was home, I continued to try to get her on, pumped, and supplemented with formula. I went to our hospital's breast feeding clinic and began to use nipple shields. I was thrilled to finally have my baby to breast despite the inconvenience of "setting" up and transitioning from breast to breast, etc. Then, we developed Thrush. We went back to the clinic and I was put on Newmann's Nipple Cream and my daughter has a prescription to swab her mouth. I continued to try to keep her to breast as often as I could handle it, but have mostly pumped. After 2 weeks, I went back to the clinic because my symptoms worsened and my daughter developed a diaper rash. We still are battling the yeast infection and now I have vasospasm. In addition to the cream for me and the prescription swab for her, we have been using Gention Violet to "paint" in her mouth and on my nipples. I'm currently just pumping and supplementing with formula. Any success stories for those who have had a few breastfeeding obstacles? Also...any thoughts on routine scheduling: Baby Wise, Baby Whisperer...or just go with your own baby flow at 8 weeks? 

• Oh, momma.  You deserve big hugs.  You've done a lot of work and perservered!

Have you gone to a La Leche League meeting or called a La Leche League leader?  The leaders and the mothers are bound to have success stores to share with you.  I've heard tons of them at our meetings.

As for scheduling, the AAP recommends that you feed a baby whenever they show sings of hunger.  Eight weeks is too early to start sleep training...especiallly if you're having challenges with breastfeeding.  My advice is to nurse, nurse, nurse the baby as often as you can and to do lots of skin-to-skin contact with the baby.  Take of her onesie and let her cuddle on your chest to smell you and your milk.

• Wow...it seems like you have had your fair share of breastfeeding obstacles. And KUDOS for sticking with the breastfeeding through it all. While I haven't had those types of breastfeeding stories, I did have to work with my son on breastfeeding and it took 6 long weeks to get him into the swing of things. Once he did learn how to do it though, he became a CHAMP! As far as scheduling goes...try to get your baby into eating every 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours. If she eats to frequently, you run the risk of her "snacking". This is difficult because it makes it impossible for "mommy" to get any sleep. Choose a time at night that you would like her to go to bed and then make that her "last daytime feeding". After that time, breastfeed her but only in a dimly lit room and with minimal stimulation. This will help her get into a "daytime/nighttime" routine. Good luck and welcome to Strong Moms.

• Thank you SO much! I'm gonna keep pumpin' and pluggin away! Any breast milk is better than none, right?! You're kindness and info is super appreciated!

• I'm going to add my congrats here!! Way to keep going in the face of some serious obstacles!! Although pretty much everything has been said, I would just echo the advice to keep doing as much skin-to-skin contact as you can and breastfeed once you are able. That closeness will help the transition back to breastfeeding when you are able.

If you were going to check out some baby scheduling books, I would check out BabyWise or BabyWhisperer. Even if you don't necessarily start doing all kinds of scheduling and sleep training, you at least know some techniques and general ideas of when you could start setting up more a routine. I didn't follow any scheduling method exactly but cobbled my own schedule together based on my baby's cues and needs. It certainly helped to have all the information from those books, though!

• That is an amazing story. Im shocked you stuck with breastfeeding through all of that. I went through obstacles as well. My right nipple was so sore and cracked and bleed so i went and got a breast pump. I could only breastfeed on one side. My nipple problem lasted about 4 weeks so i had to start supplementing with formula. I then developed mastitis on the bad side and i wanted to give up. Your story is giving me new hope. Just look for signs of hunger and go with the flow. every baby is different when it comes to eating. good luck

• Wow, I am so impressed by your positive attitude in the face of such challenges! Keep up the good work and continue on with whatever works for your family. I probably wouldn't be too anxious to start any formal scheduling program. I always felt comfortable to let my babies give me cues as to when they were hungry and to allow them to become accustommed to the routine environment of our home - brighter and louder throughout the day, darker and quieter at night. That seemed to help them develop good day and nightime routines.

• STAR1986 I sooo feel for you! I really do! (UGH!) I am still experiencing the effects of Thrush and the Vaso...fingers crossed there is no Mastitis. I have not given up and am still pumping. The good news is, I am able to give my baby all breast milk with the exception of formula for the evening feeding most days. I won't lie, it is A LOT of work and hard to keep up with pumping and feeding rather than the luxury of just taking her to breat or just giving her straight formula-but I figure I might as well do it as long as it is "working", once it no longer "works" for us-then I know that I have really gave it my best effort. Let me know how it is going for you!

• Thank you so much, LaraRN! I guess I was just feeling anxious about a schedule because I keep hearing all about having to get your child on a schedule; feeding, playing, nap... and although, my daughter eats pretty "routinely", there are days we just have to "be" according to whatever her body/mind sees fit. (Ha ha!) The thing is, she doesn't take a scheduled nap and lately she has been extremely fussy (cries on and off throughout the day) and won't nap for more than 10-20 minutes. However, she does sleep through the night anywhere from 6-8 hours, so I am ceretainly not complaining. I'm just not sure what has got her so fussy during the day (i.e. she is a hard burper so maybe she is gassy, etc??.) to where she won't rest and I would think she would need her rest???!!! Mommy could use just a tadTongue Tied

• Here's some info from the AAP about Babywise:  http://aapnews.aappublications.org/cgi/content/abstract/14/4/21.

Elizabeth Pantley has some helpful, gentle information about sleeping.  She wrote the" No Cry Sleep Solution."  Also, Dr. James McKenna from the University of Notre Dame has some wonderful articles (& at least one book) about babies and sleep.

• There is certainly no reason to schedule your baby's feeds.  Babies, like us, eat when they're hungry.  You seem to be doing a fantastic job following your baby's cues.  Your baby may be going through a growth spurt and her fussiness may be due to hunger which would also explain the short naps.  Periodically, as babies grow they have to feed more frequently to increase your supply.  If baby is fed every time she indicates that she may be hungry, our bodies  adjust within a 24-48 hour time period and start meeting baby's needs again.  Patience and motivation are the key right now, of which you seem to be in good supply.  Best of luck bosswell3.  When this finally all falls into place you will be so glad that you have persevered.

• Yep.  EXACTLY what claremulligan57 said!!!

• I also think that there is a difference between having a strict, formal schedule you would like baby to follow and having predictable household routines that baby can be comfortable with. I don't like the former, but I think the latter makes life easier. I think the difference is that having a general routine helps your child feel secure in knowing what to expect over the course of the day, but it allows for flexibility depending on everyone's needs.

• While not having NEARLY the issues you are, we have had lots of trouble latching on (better with the nipple shield) and we have this breastfeeding/bottle feeding pumped milk/formula thing going on that some days has no set rhyme or reason. BUT - i totally agree with the "some breastmilk is better than none" theory and both my pediatrician and lactation consultant have said that as long as he is getting good nutrition and growing, not to stress over it. I am letting go of some of my guilt of doing bottles at night and when we have places we have to go because sometimes it is just easier on mom. And when mom is less stressed - the breastfeeding and everything else goes better!

• 2 thumbs up for sticking to it girl! i too have to use nipple shields in order for my baby girl to feed. she too has issues latching even with them. i was given 5% glucose water made by similac when i was in the hospital. they sent me home with a few bottles and it works wonders. you can purchase it online. i take a dropper and squirt a little in her mouth while she is trying to latch and that helps her. she is only 2 weeks old right now so i am still feeding every 3-4 hours. i hope this helps you if you try it.