The Hospital Experience

• Pittsburghneon - so glad you had a great experience! Getting on-going support from your pediatrician and lactation consultants is such a great thing. I hope it becomes the standard of practice for everyone. How old is your baby now?

• I am a nurse also, before I had my baby I prepared for breastfeeding by reading as much literature as possible.  The hospital I had my baby in was also the hospital I worked in, and the nurses were not very knowledgeable about breastfeeding.  It was suggested that I supplement with formula (due to jaundice) and the nurses encouraged me to let them feed him in the night so I could sleep.  I was given samples of formula and told that when I felt like I needed a break from BF-ing I should just give him some formula.  Thank goodness I had thoroughly prepared myself and educated myself, had I listened to their advice I could have set myself up for breastfeeding failure.  Although I know their intentions were good, I never listened to them, never gave my baby formula, and have been BF-ing for months now with no problems (he did get 2 ounces at birth due to hypoglycemia, but not after that).  We also had no lactation consultant, and had I not prepared myself as well I don't know how successful I would have been. 

• Hello. My nephew was admitted to the NICU when because he hadn't had a bowl movement and my sister had a very difficult time becuase the staff constantly was trying to bottle feed him when she was extremely clear that she wanted to exclusively breastfeed.  In fact, during the one hour she had to leave the NICO, she was allowed to stay only 23 hrs a day, they gave him a full bottle of formula.  And right before she left she spoke with the head nurse reiterating that she did not want him to have a bottle.  Needless to say she was not impressed with this action since it wasn't medically necessary and she was in the NICU waiting area.  I would like to think this was an isolated incident, but when she spoke with the attending Dr he said they actually preferred all his charges to be bottle fed.

• my youngest was in the NICU for 8 days and on day 4 I was encouraged to start breastfeeding and they were very supportive. (up to that time I pumped. he was only getting like 30mls anyways) the LC was there the first several times and they always supported me:D 

• I had twins that were preemie but just missed the NICU.  My plan was to nurse.  I was induced due to pre eclampsia.  My experience was poor.  I received little support and no information.  My plan to nurse and then supplement as needed.  Fortunately I was able to connect with a neighbor hospital lactation consultant who coached me and I nursed them both for 12 mos. 1 nurse can make all the difference so if you really want to nurse keep trying.

• My experience was AWFUL!!! But I'm a bottle mom. This was my second child and I had NO intention of breastfeeding. I was VERY upfront about it. They told me I would need to bring my own binkys because the hospital is pro-breastfeeding and they don't support the idea of binkys. Fine. But then they were VERY pushy about breastfeeding. Once they finally gave in and gave me formula for my baby, he ran out. My son literally SCREAMED for over an hr before they would bring me more formula. Myself, my husband, my father-in-law and even my mother each walked down to the nurses station to let them know i was out of formula and my son was screaming, and they just said they'd be there when they could. (I was one of only 3 moms on the floor). I'm so ticked. THEN, after the first night, I wanted to send my baby to the nursery each night so I could get some rest knowing that when I got home from the hospital I was going to have to recover from a c-section, care for my toddler, and take care of the baby while my husband worked. The nurses made it very difficult to drop him off at night and even told me I was not doing what was best for the baby. They were so pushy and judgey it was awful! I could not wait to get home!

• I had a wonderful experience with the hospital i delivered at. They were incredibly accommodating and thoughtful from the moment i walked through the door to the moment they wheeled me back out. When i first got there they knew who i was and had my paperwork ready to go and the room all set up with everything that was initially needed. They were prompt in getting me the doses of cervidil and letting me know when i could finally sit back up afterword (that was a long long hour)... They had great senses of humor and became good friends while were were there... The night nurses that admitted me was so sad that i didn't deliver on their watch and gave hugs when they left. After my daughter was born the daytime staff welcomed my fiance into the nursery area so that he could get pictures of our daughter getting her first bath (And MAN was she mad). They offered to keep her in the nursery many many times but i'm the kind of person who is like she is my daughter so i will care for her... but thanks anyway!!!... I just can't say enough good things about where i delivered. From the nurses, anesthesiologist, the kitchen staff, and even cleaning staff were all wonderful.  

• I had a great experience! They were really helpful in helping me figure out how to get my daughter to latch on. Very helpful in teaching me how to burp her (sadly I've always had an issue with burping her, but now that she's active she basically does it herself) and taught me how to bath her. The whole experience was great to be honest there was only one nurse that wasn't over joyous and helpful, but she was younger so probably just an experience thing, she still did her job though. I really loved that the nurses constantly told me how beautiful she was lol (:

• My hospital REALLY pushes breast feeding. They won't give up, even if you want to. My son would not latch on correctly and we couldn't figure it out. I wanted to quit and they kept bother me about it. They made me feel guilty to I exclusively pumped. I still pump, but my son is 5 weeks old and I do not produce enough anymore for some reason. I am going to be giving up soon. I wish my hospital would have been nicer about this and not so pushy.

• It sounds like the common theme that people keep speaking of is support for their decisions. People either had a great experience because they felt supported in their parenting decisions or they felt overwhelmed because they were encouraged to deviate from their plan. This is great feedback for any nurse!!

• It went great. The lactation consultant saw me 3 times to make me feel like I was doing well enough and they set up appointments for me to see them at their lactation clinic after I left as well! Even the nurses knew how to help me with breastfeeding and helped every time I asked or even if I didn't ask, but looked like I was having trouble. They were AMAZING.

• Yay!! So good to hear! It's always nice when you have lots of help and support. :-)