Breast feeding...........

•  I recieved a call yesterday and the lady I spoke with gave me tons of information on breast feeding and all the help I could recieve. This really has me thinking about breastfeeding now and all the perks that can come along with it. The only thing stopping me from saying for sure Im gonna breast feed is the "akward" feeling. My husband and I joke that breast are for Daddys fun not Babys food source and it just seems very akward and "strange" for lack of better words to even think about breastfeeding. Has anyone else had this feeling and if so what did you decide to do?? Im not looking for someone to tell me the Breast is Best and all the stuff, I know about all of that, I just need some help making it feel like something that is not akward and worth a try. Thanks

• I understand what you are asking, to tell you the truth when I was nursing, for the most part, I felt like they (the breasts) and myself became property of the baby, it's only for a short time in the grand scheme of things, my husband found it sexually appealing, at times,  but for the most part, at least for the first few weeks I was in my pajamas on the couch feeling pretty crappy and feeling sexual was the last thing on my mind, my baby was what I thought about every waking moment.  After you come out of the fog of the first few weeks, you begin to feel more sexual and having your breast out all the time feeding the baby might get your husband's attention, not to mention the nipples that are always screaming look at me.  

With your concern about it being awkward, I think awkward is based upon what is socially and personally acceptable to you, if you have a circle of friends and family that nurse their babies, it will not be awkward and you will feel less uncomfortable about accepting assistance with nursing, if it is something that few people in your circle do/did then I think it's going to seem more "weird" .  Truthfully, your breasts are yours, not daddy's and if you nurse or not your breasts are going to hurt and have many feelings that will make you sure that, at least in the beginning, they are not daddy's, you may already be experiencing pain/ discomfort.  You can't / shouldn't have sex for the first 6 weeks, so if nothing else why not give the baby, daddy's toy for at least 6 weeks while mommy recovers. I have a friend who nursed all her children and her husband and she both admit the nursing was not awkward and daddy still got to play with his toys, a lot.

Not to preach but it is really worth it, you'll never no what all the fuss is about unless you do it. 

• Breastfeeding is the most natural thing in the world!  Breasts are actually for babies not "Daddies".  We evolved over millions of years to do this exact thing.  Everytime I breastfeed in public people are very supportive and even awestruck.  Try it!  But stick with it for at least 2 months, the first bit is difficult.  Good luck!

• I know how you are feeling I thought that it would be awkward but the first time in the hospital it was such a bonding experience that it just seemed natural.

• I feel the same thing when I breastfeed my baby, what I do  is  while I am feeding him I look at his face and tried to put that feeling away and it work for me. or I just play with him. I created a bond with my baby and I no longer feel that way.

• It really is a great bonding experience that unless you try it out you will never know.  If you try it and still feel awkward, have you thought about pumping the breast milk and feeding with a bottle?  Your baby would still get all the great nutrients from your breast milk without that awkward feeling.  But it is definitely much easier just to "whip out a boob" when your little one is hungry the first 6-8 weeks since they eat every 2 hours! :)  The last thing I wanted to think about was cleaning bottles all day long!  My son is now 3 months old, eats every 3 to 4 hours and we supplement with formula for too many reasons to list....but we made it 8 weeks of breastfeeding!  Good luck and whatever works for you is what is best!

• I too felt awkard about breastfeeding. I was on the fence about it, not being able to decide one way or another. I kept thinking to myself how much breastfeeding reminded me of cats and dogs feeding their kittens and pups and it just weirded me out. But I decided since I could not make my mind up for sure that when my daughter was born that I would just try it because it is suppose to be better and I wanted to be able to say I tried the best for my daughter. And now I absolutely have no hang ups with it. In fact my little girl is so calm when she is close to me and I too enjoy the closeness. Don't get me wrong at times it does have drawbacks, but all in all I am glad I decided to go for it.

• I've worked with a lot of mother's who feel like breastfeeding is really foreign and kind of a strange idea. To have the entire function of your breast change is kind of a strange thing - from "fun" to feeding. I totally understand the feeling. I think even though my husband supported me breastfeeding, it took him a little while to get used to the idea/sight of me doing it when the time came. I would tell you, however, that it usually works out once the baby arrives because your entire perspective on life changes. Take it slow...make sure you have total privacy when you first start and ease dad into it. Let us know how it goes!

• Hmm.  Even though breasts can be a source of intimate pleasure for both men and women, I still think of them as "belong" to the woman.

Imagine if other mammals had the same conundrum about feeding their young.  What if a lioness refused to feed her cubs because the lion didn't want her to?  Or if a bull stopped a cow from feeding their calf?

• cburns407

I recieved a call yesterday and the lady I spoke with gave me tons of information on breast feeding and all the help I could recieve. This really has me thinking about breastfeeding now and all the perks that can come along with it. The only thing stopping me from saying for sure Im gonna breast feed is the "akward" feeling. My husband and I joke that breast are for Daddys fun not Babys food source and it just seems very akward and "strange" for lack of better words to even think about breastfeeding. Has anyone else had this feeling and if so what did you decide to do?? Im not looking for someone to tell me the Breast is Best and all the stuff, I know about all of that, I just need some help making it feel like something that is not akward and worth a try. Thanks

I had the same feeling at first but when my husband attened one of my breast feeding classes at the WIC offices it made the big difference because he reallize how awsome it is for the baby-n-mom. How much your body can come back together faster! So you can go back to your fun times ,if you know what it mean! And he also reallized that it can be a new experiance for the both of you too! My baby was born in March and he has been very supported about it like when i'm gorged, when my breast are so full of milk after having the baby, they are very uncomfortable and he helped me by massageing them gentley.Also he loves how they look so much bigger! It's a new thing for him to enjoy just be creative have a imagination.   He also learned that babies were born to be breast feed and enjoy how amazing it is to see. And the complements we get from all over the doctor appointments and friends and familiy. Its a beautiful thing!! Good luck to u and God bless!!! 

• I just always think of what a breastfeeding consultant told me. Our breasts are there to feed our young not for play or pleasure during sex. And it is true. 

• I think brestfeeding is good for you and baby but if you wanna bottle feed do Formula when your on the go. Thats what i think But we all know  doctors want us too breastfeed in stand =/

• Well in my experience I felt the same way a little.  I was unsure but wanted to try it.  After the first day or so it didn't feel strange, it felt very natural.  Now my daughter is 9 months old and we are now doing half breastfeeding (at night and in the morning) and half formula (throughout the day and evening).  It's not weird and there are a lot of ways to cover up.  It is really convenient to go out and not ever have to worry about bottles.  Sometimes if we are in a place where I don't want to bother anyone I just go to the car to feed her.  At home I am much more comfortable but don't really even do it in front of family, I just excuse myself to another room.  There were times when I just wanted to stop because she was eating almost every hour and i felt like I had no space and wanted to quit, but when you have those moments just remember it will go away, and then your baby will smile or coo and you'll forget that you felt that way for a moment.  So don't stress about feeling awkward, just give it a shot and see how you feel after a the first week.  If your husband supports you that is all you need to be confident you are doing what is right and good, whether that is formula or breast!

• I was afraid it would b weird breast feed but as soon as they put my  son on my chest he knew exactly what he wanted. I was just natural for us both and my husband loves that my breast got bigger when my milk came in.  My son is now 7 months old and has been exclusively breast fed due to dairy intolerance but I wouldn't have it any other way. I love the time just he and I have together at feeding time. It makes it easier on the go to because you don't have to worry about heating up the water to make a bottle. They have a ton of really cute cover ups that really helped me in the beginning when we would go out or people would come and visit because I wasn't getting around that easy for the first couple of weeks. My son has claimed my breast for now but they will be my husbands again soon enough. The health and well being of my son are far more important than my husband getting to play with them.

• cburns407- You have gotten some awesome responses to your post and I just wanted to check in with you and see how you are feeling about all this and if you have any additional concerns or questions. How are things going for you and your baby? We would all love an update! -Jess