need help with brestfeeding

• It is an opinion, not a fact, that bottles are easier.  SOME people find that bottles are easier for them.  SOME people find that breastfeeding is easier them--nothing to sterilize, nothing to pack and carry when you go out, no time needed to quickly feed a hungry baby at 3:00 am.

Also, the profession of lactation consulting is a recent one.  It didn't develop because breastfeeding is so hard.  It developed because fewer people breastfeed and fewer people are knowledgeable about breastfeeding.

My great, great, great-grandmother didn't need help from a lactation professional and would not have had access to one.  She grew up seeing her family members, friends, church members & community members breastfeed from the time she was a little girl.  There was no need for her to go to a lactation professional because she didn't have to suddenly learn about breastfeeding once she had her own child.  It was something she'd always been familiar with.

• Stress is the larges reason most stop or never start to BF.  It should be relaxing and if it's not formula is a wonderful choice.  It's a personal choice that only you the mother can make.   Including the daddy he has no say in the matter.   The biggest key is the first few moments of their life assuming all is good via delivery have them let you try, the first few days are just practice anyway and you baby won't starve (a good BF class will tell you all this too).  Their stomach is about the size of a marble on day 1-3 so if you only get out a teaspoon... well the've had a turkey dinner. :)   Best of luck.  My first was much harder than my second from the start.   If you are not making enough milk do all the things you know to do if you take a class and dont forget WATER.  Drink, Drink Drink  start now to you can get accustome to drinking lots of water have a pitcher full or water bottle on you at all times.  And just relax its the most wonderful experence but so is holding them in your arms feeding them a bottle you are providing for them either way and they will look at you with love either way!

• check w/your obgyn see if they know of any local free breastfeeding classes. usally the hospital offers them. you could also try this breastfeeding chest strap. it looks like a band and nothing but your boobs come out. it might also help if you try lying down and feeding so you can really try to place your areola in the mouth without all your breast in the way. hope it helps.

• Aurora,

you will find good support and info at La Leche League; I attended the meetings while pregnant and it helped me A LOT! my baby did not latch well the first hours, but I knew some tricks they showed me, as to how to hold the breast, positiions, etc and that made a difference. She is 7 months old now and she only had 3 bottles of formula until now (mainly because I had some difficulties with milk supply recently). You can try their website too, read-read-read and the most important, believe that you can do it!!

• Please dont get discouraged!  I too have DDD's and had a few "technical" issues in the  BF department.  My daughter was having a little trouble latching so what they did was give me something they called a nipple shield.    What it would do, is when she would start to suck, it would pull the nipple down into the shield and help her to latch.  I used it for a while, and she eventually got to where she would latch on without it.  

• Thank you again everyone has been so helpful. Im definitely not giving up this time. Im drinking water BIG TIME. I have cut out all sodas i have the occasional cup of tea but other than that its strictly water. My diet has changed drastically as well to prepare for BFing. My husband to help me with this has changed his eating habits to match mine as well :) Though he still has his Pepsi he did switch to caffeine free. I didnt think of this before but my Mother in law BF 3 boys and i bet she could help me. She lives 3 states away and thats prob why i never thought of her for help but im going to call her and pick her brain and then shell be here after the baby is born to so ill definitely be talking to her more about it.  I have a new question though. Where does a big boobed girl go to find nursing bras LOL I have to go to Lane Bryant just to find regular bras I dont even know where to begin looking for a larger size nursing bra. In fact i dont see any nursing bras around. I dont mind ordering offline is there any store you can recommend?  THANKS AGAIN LADIES YOUVE BEEN A GREAT HELP!

• You can continue to eat and drink like you normally do.  There's no special diet needed to "prepare" for breastfeeding or to breastfeed once the baby is here.

Congrats on getting so much good advice.

• My son wouldn't latch at til almost 3 months. We used a nipple shield and it was great, he just couldn't figure out how to get the nipple out.  I prefered the Advent shields, you get 2 for the price of one medela shield. Also Laniosh makes a latch assist product that sucks the nipple out so its easier for them to get ahold of.

• I'm on the hunt for one myself.  Try the Motherhood store.  You can check on their website if the store in your area carries the plus size line so that way you know they will have the bras and not waste a trip, or you can just order them off line.  I noticed that in their plus size section they had bras for overly blessed ladies like us.  If push comes to shove I might just end up doing the whole snug fitting sports bra for support and just pulling one out to nurse LOL  I probably should have, but I didnt use a nursing bra with my first pregnancy.  I cheated and used an old bra that the underwire came out of LOL  Probably wasnt the brightest idea I ever had, but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

• There are lots of ways to find help.  You can try to find out if La Leche League is in your area.  The women there can help you.  Check if your hospital or doctor can refer a lactation consultant.  All the prep you can do when you are pregnant does not matter, becasuse you will have to work with the little one.  My first was overwhelmed when my milk came in, but my second could care less.  She just wanted to suck.  They do know what to do, but sometimes just need help.  You can do it! 

• Thanks ill def go to the motherhood store online and check it out not sure if we have one or not?? But im comfy ordering online. I even thought of using one of my old comfy Cacique bras and some fabric to make it into a nursing bra.  lol I never had one for my first either just used the pull out one method in a regular bra. Not comfy LOL. So thats why this time im wanting one.Anything to make it easier and more convenient to feed baby. :) THANKS :) 

• I just googled "plus sized nursing bras" and came up with a bunch of hits. Give it a try! I needed the top size I could get at Walmart (of all places) and that worked well but I also sometimes wore a sports bra and just lifted it up. It was way more comfortable than pulling my breast out of a regular bra. NOT COMFORTABLE. :-)

• Hi I have a 6 year old who had a hard time latching on and I gave up now I have a seven and a half month old. He latched on great the minute he came out every child is different. After about a week or so my nipples got really raw and irritated so I contacted the lactation consultant they are ALOT of help make sure to become close with her while in the hospital and after. If your baby has trouble latching on or it is too painful for u like it was for me ( my little one is a chewer instead of a sucker). I went out and bought a medela double electric breast pump and started pumping at 1 week and I am still breastfeeding him it just comes in a bottle so even if your child will not latch on do not give up you can pump. Hope this helps you.

• I don't think breastfeeding is ever easy. It is one of the hardest things I have ever done.  I struggled for weeks and it took my daughter three weeks to come back to her birth weight and we had two episodes with jaundice, one requiring a hospital stay.  I used the lactation consultants at the hospital and they were great help.  I have consulted my pediatrician about how much and how often to feed. And I even called the local Le Leche league with questions.  I spent days in tears thinking her health issues were my fault but it really wasn't and it has worked out very well for us.  My daughter is now at the top of the growth charts for both height and weight.  Don't let a nurse make the decision for you.    It is strange and I don't know of anyone but me that it worked for, but i found standing to get her to latch on really worked.  I think we both relaxed enough that it became natural.  My mom was great support...thankfully...and the biggest piece of advice she gave me was relax.  The baby can feel your tension and apprehensiveness.  Hope this helps and best of luck with your pregnancy and breastfeeding.  Congratulations on being willing to try again.

• I am 22 and breastfed my first son and am now feeding my second born who is currently 2 weeks old The best think you can do to help them latch is to bring the baby to your breast, they will root and open their mouths. Guide them to the nipple and pull down their chin to open their mouth up wider and then push their head onto the nipple. If they pull away then try again a few times.. if they keep pulling away I would wait another 10 mins and try again. Sometimes this could mean that they are not hungry or simply not ready to nurse. You may want to try changing the way your holding them as well, there are many different positions like the football, crossover, and so forth. Lansinoh is a great product if your nipples do get a little sore, they may be sore the first day but breastfeeding SHOULD NOT be painful. If it is painful your baby is not latching properly.

You can tell they are succesfully latched when its not painful for them to suck and you hear the child swallowing. Usually babys suck in a pattern. They will suck a few times then pause, suck a few times then pause and so forth. There are a lot of really helpful books on breastfeeding as well. The nurses at the hospital usually send you home with some little pamplet like books that give you quite a bit of information as well.

Another great resource is your local WIC office. Even if you are not recieving WIC or other government assistance, they will still give you a book and other information on breastfeeding!

Hope this helps!