What are you favorite new foods to feed your baby?

• When my youngest was first learning how to eat table food, I loved introducing new foods to him. In particular, watermelon was a fun food to introduce on hot summer days. Even though he got messy, I loved watching him dive into those sweet and sticky slices. What are some of your favorite table foods to feed your baby?

• my son is nine months and he is trying everything right now. I try to limit the sweets as much as possible, but a little bit every now and then never hurts. I love feeding him oatmeal. he gets so happy and screams Big SmileAAAAAAA! (wich means more!) with silly faces and then smiles as i bring the spoon up to him. and cheerios! he is crazy about them! I have to keep a little snack baggy so he always has them handy.

• Puffball-that is a great reflection of favorite foods! I can just see that baby diving into that oatmeal! :) What about veggies and fruits? What are your babies favorites? -Jess
  • We try different things. For the most part she likes green veggies of any kind. She is not found of sweet fruit or anything that is to sweet. She will eat carrots, green beans, and peas are her favorite. I have been given her a few Happy Baby puffs and she seems to like those. She likes to self feed so I bought her a little snack cup that I put a little bit of puffs at a time and she seems to love it. She knows when it is snack time when she sees her snack cut. For the most part I also limit the sweets plus she is not fond of sweets at the moment this would also include fruits like bananas and apples.

• Babymiakat-I am impressed that your kiddo is a green veggie fan! Have you tried squash? Lots of babies like squash and it's a wonderful source for carotene and other vitamins/nutrients. It is also a bit sweet so can be a special treat. :) I think they key to eating a health diet for anyone, any age is to eat a good variety of foods. I like what Michele Obama has introduced so far as transitioning to a place with four quarters. There is an article from June 2nd, 2011 in the New York Times which presents this new idea. It states that: "The plate is split into four sections, for fruit, vegetables, grains and protein. A smaller circle sits beside it for dairy products." The govts website: http://ChooseMyPlate.com/ talks with more details about this idea as well as giving a lot of other healthy eating tips. You might check it out, pretty cool. What i have witnessed is that when people eat to much of something, or if they restrict it from their diet entirely it then things get off balance and eating problems develop. So-You are doing a wonderful job of giving that sweet baby such a healthy start to life with good nutritious foods. I want to complement you for starting your kiddos life off this way. Keep up the good work! :) Jess
  • We used the "baby-led weaning" approach that Gil Rapley wrote about.  We let her explore and self feed "sticks" of avocado, baked sweet potato fried, grilled chicken, kiwi & stalks of broccoli.

• My LO is 8 months and have been introduced to apples, pears, bananas, sweet potatoes, carrots, tofu, squash, zucchinis, peaches, mangoes. I'm currently doing the finger foods expiment. I'm a little hesitant with the harder stuff, but graham crackers are a big hit. 

• My baby will be 6 months on the next month. And as of now still wondering what are the healthy foods for my baby. I like carrot juice, squash and potato. And its nice to read many friends here giving their opinions and ideas on which foods are highly recommended.

• I think that any healthy foods for adults would do--vegetables, fruits, lean meats that aren't process and don't have sodium and preservatives.  Plus maybe some whole grains...like oatmeal.

• Babies who are eating foods will benefit from a variety of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. Look for veggies such as peas, carrots, squash, sweet potatoes, and green beans. Babies also love oatmeal, barley and rice cereal mixed with a variety of fruits, such as bananas and apple sauce, plums, and even apricots. Yum!

• I have a huge bias against ingant rice cereal because it's highly processed. It's a bland-tasting, empty carbohydrate.   A whole grain, like oatmeal, is quite healthy, though!  Barley is a healthy option, too.