My Tired Wife!!!

• My son is 1 month old and it seems he never stops eating. my Wife gives him 2 full breasts and he still eats 4 ounces of formula about every 2 hours. He is a rather large baby born 10Lbs 2 oz and a week ago he was 12Lbs 7 oz.. The Dr's says he is doing great and he is healthy. it Sure is taking a toll on my wife.  

• Yes.  It can be tiresome, but it gets better.  At times, my daughter would cluster nurse frequently (she never had formula).  Now THAT can take a toll.  Once I mastered nursing in a side-lying position, it did wonders for me.

• Nursing those babies in the early stages can be tiring! Does your wife have a pump? When she does pump, how much does she get? I'd just make sure her supply is a good one, so that you don't need to worry about the baby getting all that he needs from the breast. Like APMomma said, those cluster feeds can be tiresome but they will pass and the baby will begin to settle down. What happens if you don't give him formula? Can he be soothed with carrying in a sling instead of more feeding? Hang in there!

• That happened to me as well and on the 3rd baby (we just recently had) the pediatrician told me to put half a teaspoon in her milk and feed it to her. It worked wonders for me. It gave me a little free time to pump more. Tell your wife to drink plenty fluids also.

• that is normal for a baby with that weight so let him eat away Smile

• Make sure your wife is making enough milk. Her milk supply works by "supply and demand" so encourage her to let him eat more frequently at the breast so her body will respond by making more milk. Also, make sure she is staying well hydrated so she can keep her milk up. Some babies are just naturally hungrier, so keep feeding him if he is hungry. Just be sure you aren't confusing his cries for other things with being hungry. 

• I had the same problem last month. My newborn is now a month and 2 weeks and he eats that much too. I would recommend that your wife keep herself healthy so that she can keep her baby healthy. Hang in there it will get better, promise:)

• Your wife could try to pump on one of the feeding and you could how much is your baby actually getting.  When my son was 1 to 2 months he was eating 3 oz every 2 hours.

• How will pumping help prevent her from being tired?

She'd have to find time to pump in between feedings.  Then, when the baby gets fed the bottle, she'll have full breasts during that time...therefore more pumping.

Feeding the baby directly from the breast is a lot LESS work than pumping.

• APMomma - I think Huneybunz meant that you could pump one feed to just measure the amount the baby is getting from the breast to determine if there is a supply problem. Pumping and feeding routinely IS a lot more work if you do it all the time, though - that's for sure!

• @PediNurseJulie1

Ahh!  Thanks so much for clarifying that.

Pumping is not a good indicator of milk production.  Many women respond better to their suckling baby than to a machine.  The amount of pumped milk does not tell you how much milk a baby is effectively transferring when the baby nurses directly from the mom.

A better indicator of whether the baby is getting enough to eat is weight gain and production of wet & dirty diapers.

Thanks, again, for clarifying that.

• @MommyRN

Breastfed babies generally don't overeat.  So, even if the mom offers the breast for a cry other than a hungry cry, the baby will not engorge itself.  The best thing to do is actually to offer the breast whenever the baby shows signs of hunger--including crying.

• Also, I know that drinking a lot of water is popular advice.  However, there are studies that show that drinking more water does not help increase milk supply.  The hormones that help a mother produce milk also help her conserve water.

Not drinking enough water can, however, lead to fatigue and constipation--neither of which is desirable for a nursing mother.